suggestion for sandbox server support

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
grimblefritz

suggestion for sandbox server support

Post by grimblefritz »

I suggested this via email, but thought I'd post it here for comment.

My primary use of version control is to maintain a web app in conjuction with people in a variety of geographic locations. We currently use a home grown code management system, but are seriously evaluating FtpVC as a better alternative.

Since we work with a web app, we maintain three copies of the code:

1. The reference copy. In FtpVC, this would be the files on the FTP server.

2. The local working copy. In FtpVC, the local files.

3. A sandbox (or test) copy. FtpVC does not do this.

The sandbox copy is really nothing more than a second FTP location, where either a) the local copy can be placed, or b) the reference copy can be placed. The purpose is to provide a location where we can test the local copy in a 'live' environment.

The closest we can come to this within FtpVC is to checkin a working copy, and use the keep checked out option to keep a lock on the file until we are satisfied the changes are working. However, this is less than ideal as we end up with a large number of pointless checkins.

The request I have for FtpVC is the support a sandbox system. This would require:

A. Setup for a second ftp server
B. Addition of a "Sandbox" context menu
C. Sub-options on that menu would be
-- copy local file to sandbox
-- copy reference file to sandbox
-- copy sandbox file to local (but only if local is checked out)
-- view sandbox file (ie, in editor)
-- view sandbox file properties (crc, date/time, etc)

Note that this is simply a tool for updating a sandbox. No diffs, merges, or other advanced operations are being requested.

As a perhaps simpler request, the addition of a context menu "Put to sandbox" (Ctrl-P) would be a useful and perhaps simpler addition. If, that is, it could be written to integrate with the excellent (and free) "SendTo FTP" utility (http://pclightning.com/sendtoftp.html) Then you could highlight a file and press Ctrl-P and update the sandbox. I believe SendTo FTP supports command line options to specify just about every option that would be necessary, and will store login details as profiles. So the interface could be as simple as "Use this profile to send this file to this directory."
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Thank you for your suggestion. As for using "SendTo FTP" utility, FptVC supports running an arbitrary command on selected files via "Explorer Menu for Local Files" context menu (unless you have to use remote copies), as well as via "Double-Click Action" (see Settings).
psguru
PrestoSoft
grimblefritz

Post by grimblefritz »

Thanks. Yes, I'm current using the "Explorere Menu for Local Files" context menu (to set to Send To, and then SendTo FTP.) That is perhaps the best compromise, but it is still cumbersome.

Perhaps a keystroke option, similar to the double-click setup option. That might be a useful tool. I could then define Ctrl-P to put the local file to the sandbox via SendTo FTP (or any other ftp or scp client, for that matter.)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Right, using Explorer Menu is a little bit too cumbersome for a repeatable action. Still, perhaps a more generic solution is preferable. Something like an ability to add user-defined commands (performed on local files) to the context menu (similar to Tools in MS Visual Studio). That along with the existing ability to customize keyboard shortcuts would achieve your goal.
psguru
PrestoSoft