Small typo in installer

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Small typo in installer

Post by AlexL »

While installing a new beta version, we see the following message:

"Congratulations! Your existing license was purchased on 28/Dec/08 (see the license details below), and is less that 12 months older than the ExamDiff Pro version you are about to install. As a result, this version of ExamDiff Pro will install as a free upgrade."

I guess the "that" should be replaced by "than".

Also I think that there is no reason to save space for 2 more characters here, and 4 digits for year would look better - to prevent confusing with different international date formats. Example: Japan places year at the beginning, while Europe does the opposite, so "09/Apr/08" will look ambiguously.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Small typo in installer

Post by psguru »

I guess the "that" should be replaced by "than".
Good catch, will be fixed.
Also I think that there is no reason to save space for 2 more characters here, and 4 digits for year would look better - to prevent confusing with different international date formats. Example: Japan places year at the beginning, while Europe does the opposite, so "09/Apr/08" will look ambiguously.
The date is displayed based on the user's regional settings, so there's no danger that anyone will be confused.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:
AlexL wrote:Also I think that there is no reason to save space for 2 more characters here, and 4 digits for year would look better - to prevent confusing with different international date formats. Example: Japan places year at the beginning, while Europe does the opposite, so "09/Apr/08" will look ambiguously.
The date is displayed based on the user's regional settings, so there's no danger that anyone will be confused.
1) Even if the date format is based on some settings, this fact is not obvious. Not everybody will come to this thread to know that the date format is based on regional settings.
2) If you use not your computer, you don't always have an idea about regional settings. Same may be relevant for your computer, but other user (eg., in case of MUI installed).
3) ISO 8601 prescribes, as a minimum, a four-digit year [YYYY] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601).
4) Two more useful characters won't harm anybody.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I still have to disagree. The date format is the one that the user sees in all Windows programs, including Explorer. Here's what I see on my PC:
EDP6.png
EDP6.png (25.27 KiB) Viewed 6669 times

It's not a matter of adding two more digits (which incidentally already are there in the image above); we simply use a standard Windows API to format dates.
psguru
PrestoSoft