Error message when saving file on some network drives

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Error message when saving file on some network drives

Post by AlexL »

Some drives mapped on some network systems produce strange effect when I try to save file there (even without editing). I press, say, <Ctrl><F12>, then I get immediate error message (see background message window), but the file is saved properly (see foreground message window, which pops itself immediately after the background one), and file content also reflects the intended modification (verified by external editors):
(full image: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9026 ... roran2.jpg)
The problem only in error message, because save operation works properly.

In the example above I used the same file for both left and right panels (to make the example simple), but the problem occurs with totally different files in totally different locations also. For example, same thing happens if I compare a file from U: with a file from C:, and try to save the file from U: (where U: is network drive of that specific network, which causes the problem).

This problem does not happen with every mapped file system, but only with some of them.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Error message when saving file on some network drives

Post by psguru »

The message is actually rather benign: EDPro tries to be nice and, after saving, sets the saved file's attributes to the original one's. Now, if you use the "Overwrite files directly during saving" option under Options | File Editing, this is not performed since the file is modified directly (in place).

Also, the problem may have something to do with the network computer's OS: security attributes are supported in NT 4.0+, and EDP checks for this (where it's running). However, if the share's OS is lower, I suspect that you may get such message. Obviously, there's no way to check OS is running on the network share.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

1) The network system on U: is Unix-like (actually it's one of Linux variants), most probably mapped via some version of Samba on corporate basis.
2) I did not understand what to do, because sometimes I edit long files in EDP, and save the relevant file after fixing (or ignoring) every difference, so I get this message pretty often.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The suggestion was to use the "Overwrite files directly during saving" option under Options | File Editing.
psguru
PrestoSoft