Clipboard compare and ignoring lines

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
casman

Clipboard compare and ignoring lines

Post by casman »

Hello forum.

I have tried doing the following with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I call up the 'Compare New Pair' dialog box and select 'Files'.
I then copy my text from the Clipboard.

I would then like to sort the lines, ignoring all lines starting with #, then compare the remaining lines.

Whenever I try this it does not seem to sort the data, and it ignores 'some' of the lines beginning with # but not all. It seems if there is a difference in a line beginning with #, then it is included in the comparison, I want it to be ignored.

I have tried doing this with the latest official release and ExamDiff Pro latest beta version.

Regards,
Casman.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Clipboard compare and ignoring lines

Post by psguru »

When you compare your clipboard contents, do you get the comparison results (let's ignore the rest for a second)?

Then, if you do, how exactly do you sort your texts? Since these are not named files, you can't use plug-ins. On the other hand, you probably don't need to sort at all. If all you need is to ignore lines that start with #, use the following regular expression with Options | Compare | Ignore lines matching regular expression:

^#
psguru
PrestoSoft
casman

Post by casman »

Hi psguru.

Thank you for your prompt response.

When I do the compare, I do actually get the comparison results, but unsorted. To sort them, I thought I would simply tick the sort plugin, as I need to sort the list prior to comparing.

With the other problem, I need to completely ignore all lines starting with a #, however, the program seems to ignore the lines beginning with # only if there are no differences. If there are differences on the line, even if it begins with a #, then it will include the line in the display.

Regards,
Casman
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Did you try the option I recommended? Could you post a screenshot?
psguru
PrestoSoft
casman

Post by casman »

Hi psguru.

I have tried your suggestion with the same result.

I have attached a pdf (zipped) file with screenshots of my 'Compare' options, the comparison screen before and after applying the Filters.

Regards,
Casman.
Attachments
ExamDiff Pro Example.zip
(205.63 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You are using the wrong Ignore option: instead of "Parts matching regular expression" you need to use "Lines matching regular expression" -- since that's what you want.
psguru
PrestoSoft
casman

Post by casman »

Hi psguru.

That worked for getting rid of the comments. Thanks.
Any chance of getting sorting (or any plugin) working when comparing data pasted in from the clipboard; this would be really useful.

Regards,
Casman.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It's already possible. Once you compare, right-click in the file pane and select Apply Plug-In | Sort.
psguru
PrestoSoft