Different timestamps config not working

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Cussuol

Different timestamps config not working

Post by Cussuol »

Hello

I'm trying ExamDiff Pro (beta). It's great.

I'm comparing some directories trees with a lot of small files and a few huge binary files (acctually they're SqlServer databases files).

At "Directory Comparison Options" dialog, the box: "Perform Full file comparison" is unchecked and the box: "Consider files with different timestamps different" is checked.

Those binary files have the same size but different timestamps, so i expected the directory comparison were quick, but it takes ages. I'm pretty sure ExamDiff is examinating each byte of those files when it should just mark then as different.

Is there anything i can do to help you fix this?

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Different timestamps config not working

Post by psguru »

Is there anything i can do to help you fix this?
Sure. It would be great if you could attach a zip file with your two directories and your options (which you can export to file via the Options dialog).
psguru
PrestoSoft
Cussuol

Post by Cussuol »

This is my options.file.

The folders are too big to be attached.
Actually that's the only reason i believe that's something wrong: The time examdiff takes to declare the files are different.

I thing that's not hard to simulate, just take any big binary file, copy it to another folder and change it's timestamp leaving the content untouched. Then compare the folders and try to see how long examdiff takes to tell you they're different.
Attachments
Options.zip
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's the reason: you have the following option on: "Consider files with same CRC identical". This causes EDPro to calculate the files CRC, which obviously takes time. Turn it off and re-compare.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Cussuol

Post by Cussuol »

It solves the problem. Thank You.

May i suggest you to check the timestamp before the crc. If the timestamps are different then there's no need to spend time calculating the hash.

By the way, it would be realy, realy nice, to have a button to apply all the differences from one folder to the other automatically. I know there's a wish list and i voted for this feature.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

May i suggest you to check the timestamp before the crc. If the timestamps are different then there's no need to spend time calculating the hash.
No, the whole point of this CRC option is to consider files identical even when their sizes and/or timestapms are different.
By the way, it would be realy, realy nice, to have a button to apply all the differences from one folder to the other automatically. I know there's a wish list and i voted for this feature.
Yes, your vote has been added to the wish list.
psguru
PrestoSoft