suppress message if both files missing newline at EOF

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

suppress message if both files missing newline at EOF

Post by Yahoo Serious »

A minor annoyance: if both files being compared are missing a newline at the end of the file, could you (optionally) suppress the "No newline at end of file" message?

Cheers, Yahoo.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Sure. There is a "Don't show again" checkbox on the "No newline at end of file" dialog.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

But that would also suppress the message if just one file is missing a newline at the end of the file (which would be a difference, that may easily go unnoticed)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Oh, you wanted to see the message only when one of the files is missing the last EOL.

Well, while I can see your reasoning, some other users may argue that knowing that both files are missing the newline at the end is as important as knowing that only of them is. That would mean that we actually need two different messages, and I think that becomes an overkill for such a feature.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Well, you don't actually need another message, just another option to suppress it when both have it.

Maybe it makes more sense, when I tell you that on equal files I now get three messages:
- no newline at end of file1
- no newline at end of file2
- identical text-files file1 and file2 ... Exit
Clicking through these first two messages, does not make much sense to me in such a case.

But maybe we can meet half the way, and you can just offer another option to suppress it when both files are (completely) equal.
[Of course that would mean you have to remember the missing newline message until after comparison.]
Or would that still be overkill?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Or would that still be overkill?
I think so.

It's also quite a bit of work to implement: currently the "Missing newline" message is shown when each file is read. So, as you correctly noted, this will have to be moved somewhere else (where both files are read) and so on. I don't think it's worth the trouble of implementing and testing. Again, I kinda agree with you that it would a nice option to have but I don't want to spend time on something that doesn't seem to affect many users.
psguru
PrestoSoft