Ignoring Comment-Lines with RegEx

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
OLLI_S

Ignoring Comment-Lines with RegEx

Post by OLLI_S »

Hello,

I have ExamDiff Pro Version 3.2c.

I have the problem, that I have to compare source code files (Borland Delphi Sources) of two different projects.
Those projects started with the same source but then they get split apart (so they are indipendend now).

In one source file there are plitter lines (comments) in the source:

Code: Select all

end; // of the previous function

{------------------------------------------------------------------------------}

function anything ...
In the other file these lines are not existing:

Code: Select all

end; // of the previous function

function anything...
If I compare the two files, some of these comment lines are marked as "different".
Most of these lines AND THE NEXT BLANK LINE are marked as different (so the comment line and the following blank line are highlighted).

In the options I checked on the page "Compare" in the section "Ignore" every checkbox (also the "Blank Lines).

In the RegEx field I entered

\{-+\}

to ignore all lines beginning with a {, then followed by any amount of - characters and ending with a }.
The checkbox in front of the field is also checked.

The problem now is, that only one comment is ignored.
This difference is shown as "one line difference" (only the comment line is marked as difference and the next line after the comment is not marked).
But most of my comments are marked with the next blank line, so here the RegEx is not working.

But WHY?
If I ignore "Blank Lines" and the "RegEx", then ExamDiff Pro should ignore all comments.

Please help me!

Greetings

OLLI
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This appears to be a bug in 3.2c that was fixed in 3.3 and above.
psguru
PrestoSoft
OLLI_S

Post by OLLI_S »

Hello,

yes, I have ExamDiff PRO 3.5.1.0. (trial) installed on my other PC and there these lines are marked as "ignored".
I just had to change the background color for "ignored lines" from "light gray" to "white" and then it is working.

Too bad that I have the old version 3.2c and that I have to pey for the actual version.
But I try to talk to my boss (to get the budget for the new version).

Thank you!

Greetings

OLLI