Some external file changes are not determined

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

Hello.

If I'm comparing two files and use "COPY" command (from command prompt) to copy third file over one of the two, this event is determined by EDP v3.5.0.6-Beta, which is normal. But if I copy that third file by FAR Manager ("Use system copy routine" option is unchecked), the change is not determined (which is strange and causes bug suspect in EDP). If this option is enabled, the change is determined as needed (which is normal).

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I don't think it's an EDP's problem. It uses FindFirstChangeNotification / FindNextChangeNotification Win32 API to monitor file system changes. I think that when you uncheck "Use system copy routine" in FAR Manager, it does not notify Windows of file system changes somehow.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

I am having the same problem. When deleting a file and saving another file with the same name, this new file is not noticed by ExamDiff change notifications.

This is very relevant for me, since I use Delphi. When editing and saving a file in Delphi (BDS 2006) ExamDiff does not generate change notifications. So it looks like Delphi first moves the old file to the backup-directory "__history" , and then saves a new file. (I seem to remember this notification working for BDS 2005, however.)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

We'll be making some improvements in this area for the next build of 3.5.
psguru
PrestoSoft