some questions before we buy ...

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
moelski

some questions before we buy ...

Post by moelski »

Hi !

At first of all, FtpVC is a great piece of software. We tested it and think that it will be very usefull for our little two man project.

But we have some questions and hopefully you have some answers ....

1) We add alwasy comments if we do a Checkout Checkin. But you can only view the last comment in the property dialog of a file. Is it possible to view the whole comments in one document? That would be a great feature and would help us, to get our project history better structured.

2) I selected a hugh amount of files and do an CheckOut Checkin. It take a really long time until FtpVC has finished. What´s the reason of this behavior?
Also me colleague did a labeling over all files he added to the server. This takes a very long time. So the question is ... Will there be any approvements so that it works a little bit efficiently?

3) You add the possibility to enter a SMTP server. It is also possible that FtpVC sends notification email to other users. Would it be possible that you add a little email window? So I could use FtpVC to write a little note to my colleague without using my normal EMail application. I think this would be a great feature.

Hope to here something.

Best regards
Greetz Dominik
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

1) We add alwasy comments if we do a Checkout Checkin. But you can only view the last comment in the property dialog of a file. Is it possible to view the whole comments in one document? That would be a great feature and would help us, to get our project history better structured.
No, comments belong to their respective versions. One way to retain the comment history is to always append to an existing comment so that each version contains all of its comments (you would also want to use a date or version stamp). Ultimately, the only way to get all comments is via the History dialog.
2) I selected a hugh amount of files and do an CheckOut Checkin. It take a really long time until FtpVC has finished. What´s the reason of this behavior?
Also me colleague did a labeling over all files he added to the server. This takes a very long time. So the question is ... Will there be any approvements so that it works a little bit efficiently?
Well... FtpVC speed depends on how fast your FTP connection is. On top of this, the FTP protocol requires to open separate command and data connections for each file transfer. You may be able to get better performance by using Passive option under Project Options | Advanced.
3) You add the possibility to enter a SMTP server. It is also possible that FtpVC sends notification email to other users. Would it be possible that you add a little email window? So I could use FtpVC to write a little note to my colleague without using my normal EMail application. I think this would be a great feature.
This sounds like a good idea. Would you want to customize each message, or just the templates that are used to send different messages? The problem here may be that FtpVC uses different types of messages:

1. When a file is added, FtpVC can send a message (with the file optionally attached) to a mailing list.
2. When a file is checked in, FtpVC also can send a message (with the file optionally attached) to a mailing list. Additionally, it can send the previous version of the file to a predefined address (called "master user").
3. On top of this, users can subscribe to event notifications (events include major version control operations, such as Get, Check Out, Check In etc.). This allows the users to watch certain activities for certain files.

Now, all of the above types use some sort of hardcoded templates. Hence my question above.
psguru
PrestoSoft
moelski

Post by moelski »

Hi !
may be able to get better performance by using Passive
Ok, I will give it a try !
This sounds like a good idea. Would you want to customize each message, or just the templates that are used to send different messages?
Nothing of this :D
What I mean was the following idea ... Can you add a simple formular which enables me to write eMail. At first I select a mailing group (or enter an email adress), write a subject und the body and press send. Mailbasics if you want.
This would make life easier because I don´t have to use always my normal mailclient to write an email to my colleague(-s).

It would be great if I can also save some simple templates for eMails, too. So I could write down some standard emails I often use and can send them with a view clicks.
Greetz Dominik
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I see. The following feature request will be added to the wish list at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_suggestions:

Ability to send e-mail messages to a mailing list or a single e-mail address
psguru
PrestoSoft