WSL, directory compare, full file comparison

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dlherms

WSL, directory compare, full file comparison

Post by dlherms »

Build 13.0.1.15 (64-bit)... Having issues attempting to compare two directories using WSL paths. The directory comparison screen comes up, but Status of error for the comparison of each file pair (full file comparison). If you then click on a file pair, that compare then works...
psguru
Site Admin

Re: WSL, directory compare, full file comparison

Post by psguru »

We don't use WSL in house. Is the any way to reproduce it in Windows 10?
psguru
PrestoSoft
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

WSL is the Windows Subsystem for Linux. It runs a Linux distro, with the default currently being Ubuntu 22.04, in a Windows VM. After installing, you will have a command line interface to the Linux distro. From the Linux interface, you can access Linux files and files in the Windows file system. You can also access the Linux file system from Windows applications, like EDP.

Once installed, you can access the Linux file system with a leading \\wsl$ in a Windows application. Create a couple of directories with files at a location like \\wsl$\Ubuntu\home\'userid'. Specify those path names in EDP comparing the directories, and you will see the errors.

This will get you started
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-inst ... windows-10

Instead of dual booting Win/Linux on a system, this is becoming a very popular alternative to run Linux on a Windows system. This is also much easier than cygwin, which you may be familiar with. Surprised this hasn't come up before...

I'm not an expert in WSL, but after doing the above let me know if you can't reproduce the failure. I can give you some specific directories/files to recreate, but I don't think you will need specific instructions. Seems to fail for any two directories from the Linux file system.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Thanks for the instructions. The end result is different from yours: no errors comparing two folders from WSL, with full file comparison and plug-ins enabled. This is both in 13 and 14 Beta. There must be something different about either your setup or, less likely, with your EDP options.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

On a different Win11 system, I don't see the failure with simple, single-level directories. The failure I see is on a Win10 system, with a much more complicated directory structure. Unfortunately, I can't send you those directories/files. Let me see if I can work up a recreation. It will be a few days... Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Thanks. The structure I tested has multiple folder levels but maybe there is something else that is different.
psguru
PrestoSoft