Nonexistent XML files. Why?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
lwoods

Nonexistent XML files. Why?

Post by lwoods »

What are all of these non-existent 'dwsynch.xml' files that are displayed as part of my compare, and why can't I get rid of them from the display? I am guessing that they are part of the ExamDiff compare process, but why do I care about them?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Nonexistent XML files. Why?

Post by psguru »

They are not part of the comparison process, and I've never encountered dwsynch.xml files. Could you provide more details, a screenshot perhaps?
psguru
PrestoSoft
lwoods

Post by lwoods »

After getting your response I thought about this and I am using Adobe Dreamweaver (dw?) but here is the kicker. These files don't exist! I am going to attach a part of a compare and a Windows Explorer of the same folder and notice that I have "hidden" turned on. I guess the question is, why is ExamDiff finding these---and where are they? Also notice that there are some nonexistent folders ( _notes ).
Attachments
Windows Explorer.jpg
Windows Explorer.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Partial ExamDiff.jpg
Partial ExamDiff.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

These files are indeed artifacts of DreamWeaver: https://macromedia.dreamweaver.narkive. ... -endlessly

What happens when you right-click on one of these files ans select Properties? Your screenshot of Explorer doesn't seem to match in its path any of the dwsynch.xml paths I see in the EDPro screenshot.
psguru
PrestoSoft
lwoods

Post by lwoods »

Yes and no. There is an "_notes" directory shown in the compare. But, in any case, I have attached a Win Ex of a child directory.

Interestingly, when I view Properties it shows the file that I looked at as "hidden", but the Win Exp doesn't show them.

I guess the final thing is that I have selected to exclude '*.xml' from the compares. I do see the note that I should use the Tools are to define these includes/excludes but I have to admit that I can't figure out what all of the "Add Ons" are all about!
Attachments
options.jpg
options.jpg (36.79 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
Windows Explorer 2.jpg
Windows Explorer 2.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You can be more specific and exclude dwsynch.xml files, not all *.xml files. Just add dwsynch.xml to your Exclude filter after your existing filter and a comma.
psguru
PrestoSoft
lwoods

Post by lwoods »

Can you give me a little more on the "comma" suggestion? I am putting each include and exclude on a separate line in the dropdown. Where does the comma come in?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Filters are comma-delimited, like

Code: Select all

*.aps,*.bak,*.bsc,*.clw,*.dll
psguru
PrestoSoft
lwoods

Post by lwoods »

Last question and then I will leave you alone....

Then why are the filters shown as dropdowns?

BTW, you have been GREAT!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It's just for convenience, to keep the history of filters, so that you could easily go back to one of the previous ones.
psguru
PrestoSoft
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

lwoods wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am Yes and no. There is an "_notes" directory shown in the compare.
Your Windows Explorer screenshot showed the contents of

... wp-content\plugins\complex-ticketing\public

one of whose sub-folders is shown to be "_notes". But in the EDP screenshot the fourth dwsync.xml file is shown to be inside "\public\_notes\" not inside "\public\". You need to pay more attention to the "Relative path" column.

lwoods wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am But, in any case, I have attached a Win Ex of a child directory.
You may have intended to but I don't see that.

lwoods wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am I guess the final thing is that I have selected to exclude '*.xml' from the compares. I do see the note that I should use the Tools are to define these includes/excludes but I have to admit that I can't figure out what all of the "Add Ons" are all about!
Add Ons (plugins) are for preprocessing files (or directory listings) so that when eg two files are compared, each one is first processed by a plugin, then the results of that processing are compared rather than the original files. That can be used for example to extract plain text from something like a PDF file (so binary content is ignored when the plain text part only is compared). Or, you might have some files whose layout is complex and a line by line comparison is never going to show anything sensible, so you write a preprocessor that revises such files' layout in some sensible way then use that as a plugin before comparing examples of those files.