Images and directory comparisons

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
ehume

Images and directory comparisons

Post by ehume »

I maintian nine themes for Firefox. I use ExamDiff Pro many times every day when I am updating the various tmes. There have been many times when I wanted to check to make sure one of the images was what I remembered, or something else.

What I do is to open one of the directories I am comparing, drill down to the appropriate subdirectory, and check out the images. When a directory is mostly images, Windows displays the directory in thumbnails mode, which creates a thumbs.db file in the directory I open as well as in all of its immediate subdirectories. Then ExamDiff Pro notifies me that the directory has changed, and asks if I would like to recompare. Then I have to arrange the files by name so I can delete all the instances of thumbs.db, since I don't want them in the eventul distribution packages.

It would be nice to be able to specify an app to open my graphics files from ExamDiff Pro so I would not have to open the directory.
Firefox themer
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There are ways to launch a program from EDPro's directory comparison. One is to configure your external editor (viewer) under Options | Misc. This will allow you to use Directories | View/Edit File command (or the toolbar button) on a selected file. This, however, will always start the same external program, regardless of the file extension.

Another option is to use Explorer Menu on right-click on a file. This menu will give you same commands that you see when you right-click on a file in Windows Explorer. A shortcut to get directly to these commands is to use Shift-Right Click on a file.
psguru
PrestoSoft