Can I recursively generate file level diffs?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Schieber

Can I recursively generate file level diffs?

Post by Schieber »

I'd like to compare two directories (and subdirs), generating file level diffs to a file or files? At present I seem to only be able to get ExamDiff Pro to generate directory level diffs, then I have to select "Compare Matched" by hand for each pair of different files.

How can I get all file level diffs to happen automatically?

Many thanks for help/suggestions!

-Brian
Tacoma, WA
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The only way to output both directory comparison results and file diffs is to use command line with /f option and save results to a file (using /o option). There's currently feature request "Create directory comparison HTML diff report with links to file comparison HTML diff reports" in the wish list.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Schieber

Post by Schieber »

excellent :P That'll work for me!

Regards,
-Brian
jimboprestosoft

I want this! and more!

Post by jimboprestosoft »

I'm excited to find this product and FtpVc. But, I don't see the one feature I really need at this moment.

I want to do what Schieber wants to do, but I want to do it with FtpVC.

I hoped that by changing the Diff Tool location under Settings|Misc from the ExamDiff.exe regular version to ExamDiff Pro's version that I would magically see the Differences function active in the context menu so that I could compare directories (and their files) within FtpVC. But, that didn't work.

I guess I'll have to wait for this wish list item. Any chance it's going to be available soon?

I can do a comparison from the command line, as suggested in this post. But I believe that you're talking about comparing two directories (recursively) on the local machine. My big need to compare a local directory with a remote directory via FTP. That's why I was so excited to find FtpVC.

Jimbo
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro currently does not compare against FTP folders. There's a suggestion like this on the wish list, I'll add your vote there.

FtpVC, on the other hand, has a recursive mode, in which all subdirectories of a remote directory are visible. After you add all your files to version control, FtpVC will show their status (such as Current, Out-of-date etc.; see more on this at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_faq#1 and http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_faq#2). However, FtpVC uses only CRCs to determine file status; not actual file content comparison is performed.
psguru
PrestoSoft