Missing lines

General questions about using ExamDiff, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
brack

Missing lines

Post by brack »

I have a problem to compare two .sql dumps, both have VERY long lines and the size of each file is over 2500Kb The files are displayed and compared just fine but the long files which are very important, are just missing, there is an empty spot on the place of those lines and software shows the difference in this spot. There is a differense there, but I would love to know which characters are different. What is wrong with the program and how to avoid this problem?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

If you are running under Windows 95/98/Me, then it's a known problem. For an explanation see http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_faq#11 (it talks about EDPro but the same applies to ED).
psguru
PrestoSoft
brack

Post by brack »

I have Windows XP Home, so, I shouldnt have described problems. However, I rtied to reduce font size but it didn't help. I still don't see those lines. Downloaded ED Pro 3.0 trial version and it works just as it should, shows all lines correctly, but compares files VERY slowly and I couldn't find a way to see EXACT changes in the lines: it shows that lines are changed but the word that has been changed is not separated by color. I tried different color settings but still, the changed word is the same color/background that all line.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I have Windows XP Home, so, I shouldnt have described problems. However, I rtied to reduce font size but it didn't help. I still don't see those lines.
Hmm... Then it must be a different problem. How long are the missing lines?
Downloaded ED Pro 3.0 trial version and it works just as it should, shows all lines correctly, but compares files VERY slowly

Try 3.4 Beta -- it's significantly faster.
and I couldn't find a way to see EXACT changes in the lines: it shows that lines are changed but the word that has been changed is not separated by color. I tried different color settings but still, the changed word is the same color/background that all line.

Use Options | Compare | "Detail Level..."
psguru
PrestoSoft
brack

Post by brack »

Interesting :? I downloaded ED Pro 3.2c and it has the same problem as the free version, it doesnt show long lines.
So, I install version 3.0 back and here is the report:
My long lines contain 55000 characters and if I change detail level to words I don't see those words that are different, only the simular ones in long lines. I mean I see the changed words in the beginnings of those lines but the ends are missing :(
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

3.2c has a bug with respect to very long lines. It was fixed in 3.3.
psguru
PrestoSoft
brack

Post by brack »

Why wouldn't you fix this problem in free version? or if you have an old free version, which is compareble to version 3.0 where can i download it?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff uses completely different edit control than ExamDiff Pro, and making it work for very long lines would be a major effort. Let's just call it a known limitation for now...
psguru
PrestoSoft