Missing feedback

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Missing feedback

Post by MSpagni »

At least on XP and on slow peripherals, when deleting a lot of files (I usually do it by clicking on the relevant arrow to "copy nothing" to the other pane) there is no user feedback that the operation is accepted and in progress.
EDP seems locked until the progress dialog "Sorting items" appears, many seconds later (when the delete operation is finished, I suppose).

One more thing quite marginal: swapping directories (i.e. swapping panes) triggers a full recompare. Why is this needed? Hasn't EDP already all the data?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Missing feedback

Post by psguru »

At least on XP and on slow peripherals, when deleting a lot of files (I usually do it by clicking on the relevant arrow to "copy nothing" to the other pane) there is no user feedback that the operation is accepted and in progress.
EDP seems locked until the progress dialog "Sorting items" appears, many seconds later (when the delete operation is finished, I suppose).
Hmm, nobody complained about this but it does make sense to have progress dialog for deletion. We'll add it to the next build of 15.0.
One more thing quite marginal: swapping directories (i.e. swapping panes) triggers a full recompare. Why is this needed? Hasn't EDP already all the data?
Technically yes, comparison results could be reused but a big chunk of time is spent on things other than comparison: filling lists/trees, sorting etc, which would still have to be performed on toggle. Another consideration is that since the last comparison files/folders could have changed, thus recomparison is expected. So, considering the benefits vs the complexity of implementation, we'll keep things as they are, for now at least.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Re: Missing feedback

Post by MSpagni »

Hmm, nobody complained about this
Obviously, the "problem" appears only when the deletion of a lot of files requires time.
I had some cases in which it required many seconds. That's why I saw it.
the last comparison files/folders could have changed
Good point!

Thanks