Folder comparison over network

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Vrish25

Folder comparison over network

Post by Vrish25 »

I'm comparing folders between a Windows 10 desktop and a MacOS Monterey Mac Mini M1.
When the folders contain more than 443 files the comparison does not work, the right pane (the Mac side) stays empty.
If i have 444 files but shorten the file name of some files, then it also works as expected.
I've done other tests in order to have a precise condition on when this issue happens, but i could not get closer as the conditions above, there is some unclear grey zone. It feels like there is some maximum amount on the total file path strings.
Strange thing is that i did not encounter this issue using the same Windows 10 desktop but an older Mac Mini Intel with Snow Leopard.
Another strange thing is that when using another comparison tool (i'll mute its name to respect this forum) on the Windows 10 desktop and the newer Mac Mini M1 Monterey folders then that other tool does not have that issue, which excludes the possibility that it would be a networking issue outside EDP.
Windows explorer also has no problems at all with the network folders on the Mac Mini M1 Monterey.
The fact that the other tool does work in all cases leads me to a mild suspicion on EDP.
And that's why i post the question here: Any idea what could be the cause of this issue?
This is using the latest version of EDP.
I'd prefer to continue using EDP because i love the clean side-by-side folder comparison panes, and because i'm used to it.
But this odd issue is blocking my workflow.
Thx.
Vrish25

Re: Folder comparison over network

Post by Vrish25 »

I can add that the EDP log file does not reveal anything about why EDP does not find any files anymore when the number of files/total number of filename chars exceeds some limit, and hence results in a faulty folder comparison.
Is there an option to increase the detail of the logged data in order to get a clue about this issue?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Folder comparison over network

Post by psguru »

Thanks for reporting this. I will send you you a PM with the instructions on enabling extended logging. How do you compare against a Mac? Is it mounted somehow?
psguru
PrestoSoft