Comparing clipboard contents

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
tkimovski

Comparing clipboard contents

Post by tkimovski »

I often need to compare fragments of text from a single file. It would be very useful if EDP could be put in a "clipboard monitoring mode" where it always caches the last two clipboard contents for a quick comparison on a key click.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Comparing clipboard contents

Post by psguru »

Maybe it's a bit of an overkill. I personally use ClipX that keeps the Clipboard history and allows to paste previous contents into comparison views.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

Windows 10 keeps Clipboard history. Just use Windows-Key + V instead of Ctrl + V for inserting, and you get the history.

What I find a bit irritating is, that after comparing clipboard stuff and close examdiff pro, I get asked whether I want to save the changes (although I did not change the clippings in ExamDiff). And the question comes twice - for both entries ...
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Windows 10 keeps Clipboard history. Just use Windows-Key + V instead of Ctrl + V for inserting, and you get the history.
Thanks for the tip. I guess no need for ClipX now...
What I find a bit irritating is, that after comparing clipboard stuff and close examdiff pro, I get asked whether I want to save the changes (although I did not change the clippings in ExamDiff). And the question comes twice - for both entries ...
This has changed in 12.0 (now in beta).
psguru
PrestoSoft
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

MudGuard wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:31 pm This has changed in 12.0 (now in beta).
THat might be a reason for an upgrade ...
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

Thanks for the heads-up on the Win 10 clipboard history. On a machine only used for programming etc that (or a 3rd party equivalent) would be useful, but for a machine also used at home for banking etc it frightens me. I'll be adding to one of my scheduled tasks some code that checks (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Clipboard and the HKLM equivalent) that it's still turned off, I think.

Imagine the number of naive users who might have the clipboard history turned on (apparently it defaults off) by eg a child in their household, who then presses Win-V every so often when the parent isn't there, and that way discovers a set of useful passwords...
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

you can remove entries from the Win10 clipboard history if you want
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

> you can remove entries from the Win10 clipboard history if you want

Yes, I know. I am not saying the clipboard history is bad idea for those who know it exists. I was just highlighting the risk it poses to naive users.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

psguru wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 pm
This has changed in 12.0 (now in beta).
Hm, yes, it has changed, now it is only one message I have to click away.

But what I really want is no message at all when I just compare two clipboard texts - I often compare snippets of text, which never need saving (only comparing).
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There an option under Misc: Treat Clipboard buffers as initially modified, you can uncheck it. Does this help?
psguru
PrestoSoft
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

will check that tomorrow, but it sounds like the solution.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

yes, that option (Uncheck Misc: Treat Clipboard buffers as initially modified) is the solution.

Thanks!!!!!