Plugins or not plugins #2

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Plugins or not plugins #2

Post by MSpagni »

Let me refresh this old topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1884&p=4699&hilit=plug+ins#p4699

In this period I must use widely astyle as a plugin in order to simplify the detection of the differences.
And often I need to look and modify the original files.
This means that I toggle very often the "Use plug-ins" option.

To resume, the scenario is as follows: let's suppose I opened a couple of files with the plug-ins.
Having detected where to edit, I switch "Use plug-ins" off and the files are, manually or automatically, recompared.
Now the files are in their standard format.
I then edit what I need and I ask to save the modified file.
I get the warning "File ... was preprocessed by plug-in(s). What you are about to save is not based on the original file's content -- it's what you see on the screen, i.e. the result of running the plug-in(s) and your modifications. Do you want to proceed and overwrite the original file?"
Wrong, of course.
Luckily, by clicking "yes" I can go ahead, but doing it often is annoying.

You're still of the same opinion of three years ago?
(Sorry for being a p.i.t.a.)
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Plugins or not plugins #2

Post by psguru »

I'm actually not seeing this. I compared two INI files with plug-ins enabled, then disabled plug-ins. Changed one file, saved, and no warning came up. Could be something in your options.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Could be something in your options.
Quite possible.

Anyway, please take care of the scenario:
plugin -> no plugin -> (auto)recompare -> change -> save -> message!

These cases instead are ok:
no plugin -> plugin -> (auto)recompare -> no plugin -> (auto)recompare -> change -> save -> ok

no plugin -> change -> save -> plugin -> (auto)recompare -> no plugin -> (auto)recompare -> change -> save -> ok

N.B. I discovered that my autorecompare comes not from "file editing->Recompare after save" that's not checked but from "Misc->change notifications for file comparison->Auto-recompare".
Surprising but logical.

P.S. Of course I have no problem to send you my settings. If you can still not reproduce the problem I'll send.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Thanks, we were able to reproduce this. The fix will be included in the next build. Please let me know if you run into problems with it and one of your scenarios.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Wow, very good!
And, as always, thank you very much.