OK, I've had it...

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dbmasters

OK, I've had it...

Post by dbmasters »

I am almost ready to explode. FTPVC never checks out the latest version of the file I am trying to get, I am even in the habit of doing gets then checkout cuz sometimes that helps, today not even that helped and it caused additional work for me to get everything straightened back out.

This has been a friggin nightmare, but only on this one specific site. On this one site I am the only one working in it, I am using it to have version in case something goes wrong I can quickly rollback, but it is forcing rollbacks on me and I am starting to get angry.

I have the 2/28 version, I have deleted all ftpvc folders and started completely from scratch and it's still doing it.

WTF?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

If this problem is always reproducible on that one FTP server, we should be able to fix it given the trace log. You know how to create it; please send the log to us, and we'll start working on it.

I have to add that this problem seems to be unique to your circumstances -- so far we had no similar reports form our users.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dbmasters

OK, I'll try

Post by dbmasters »

not sure if I recall how to create one of not...I did it a while back...

to be quite honest, the fact it is only a problem with me doesn't really help my situation, I bought this app to help me manage this site, not make it more time consuming.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The instructions have been sent you as a private message.

> to be quite honest, the fact it is only a problem with me doesn't really help
> my situation, I bought this app to help me manage this site, not make it more
> time consuming.

I understand your frustration. I didn't mean to say that, because it's a unique problem, we'll not try hard to fix it. FtpVC 2.3 is still in Beta, and we've been trying to resolve all known issues before it's final release.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

because it's a unique problem, we'll not try hard to fix it
OK, then never mind, I'll not try hard to help you find the issue.

I wish I had never spent the money...sorry to bother you with a unique problem.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Not a problem. If you don't feel that FtpVC will work for you, we'll refund your purchase. Please send your registered name in a private message, and your payment will be refunded.
psguru
PrestoSoft
grimblefritz

The joys of written communication...

Post by grimblefritz »

...especially by peeps who tend to be terse rather than verbose :roll:

db, I believe what psguru was saying was this: Even though the problem is unique to your situation, he realizes FtpVC 2.3 is still in beta and will try to resolve the issue for you. He was trying, albeit with not the best of grammar, to reassure you that he would work with you on the problem.

Your quote:
because it's a unique problem, we'll not try hard to fix it
was incomplete and out of context. You forgot to include the preface, which clearly said that the above quote was not what he was trying to say. He was in fact trying to tell you that he didn't mean to say that just because your problem was unique it was unimportant.

Anyway, you know that he's worked very closely with us to resolve a number of issues, and even added features. Yes, we've had some issues, but then we also knew we were electing to use a beta product.

To the lurkers in this forum, I have to say that PrestoSoft has been very responsive to the bug reports and feature requests I've submitted. In fact, there is only one feature request that has not been implemented, and to their credit PS gave it a try in one of the betas, but it was simply too complex to tackle at this time. I have high hopes to see the sandbox (aka, custom ftp command) feature in a future version.

Bottom line: FtpVC has been a godsend for the project db and I have been working on. Without it -- beta warts and all -- I am certain the progress of that project would have been greatly impaired.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I am not going to ask for my money back, I am an honest person, albeit perhaps terse, and the tool is working for me on this one project. But it has hardly made the project THAT much easier, we had our share of problems, version rollbacks and other issues, I'd lay good odds it's a wash regarding time savings.

In addition, I have tried to use it on two other project, all of which were FAR more of a hassle than I could possibly express...

While I like the idea of this product, and the price point for what it should do, it has given me little other than a small occassional headache.

I wish you good luck in future development, but I won't be using it.