Getting a group of files using labels.

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
huke

Getting a group of files using labels.

Post by huke »

Hello,

Is it possible to get a group of files that share the same label, in a single command? I understand that it is possible to get a single file clicking on the desired version/label on the history menu, but I cannot get a group of files in a single command.

What I do now is to check the history of the root directory for the project and get a list of files I want to see by specifying a label. Until here, everything runs well without any problems and I get a list of files. But I cannot get the listed group of files in a single command. Optionally, I could do a get for every file in the list but that is inefficient for large projects.

Any hints?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Once you are in the History dialog for multiple files, select more than one file and press Get button. There are some limitation on this command -- here's a quote from the Help:
This button is enabled only if option to store previous versions of files is enabled in Advanced Project Options. While multiple versions can be retrieved, they have to be versions of different files, otherwise the button is disabled. This button is also disabled if a label item is selected (only version items can be retrieved).
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidfung

Post by davidfung »

I have exactly the same problem as huke.
I would like to get all source files with the same label in on go rather than getting them one by one in the History screen.

In my case, the Get button is disabled whenever i select multiple files in the history screen. Store previous versions of files is already enabled in Advanced Project Options.

I don't need to get multiple versions of different file, I need to get different versions of different source files with the same label.

Why i need to do that? Because:
I will mark the entire project rescursively with a label after a release is made. At times, i need to rollback to a snapshot of my project source files in a particular point in time.

I am using version 2.2 not yet registered.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Ability to "Get multiple versions from the History Dialog as long as they are versions of different files" is a new feature of 2.3, and you need to download 2.3 beta form the web site in order to use this feature. Please try it out and let us know if it works for you.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidfung

Post by davidfung »

Is 2.3beta compatible with 2.2? I used to have some problem when the same ftp server is used by both versions.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It is recommended that all clients switch to 2.3 since file locking (introduced in 2.3) will confuse 2.2 clients.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidfung

Post by davidfung »

My eval copy of ftpVC 2.2 will expire soon, and I am not comfortable in using beta software. Can I buy v2.2 now and still be able to upgrade to v2.3 free of charge when it is released?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Yes. Your password file will work for any version released within one year from your purchase.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidfung

Post by davidfung »

Since FtpVC is ftp-based, how come there is file locking problem between v2.2 and v2.3??
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It's not FTP locking -- FTP protocol does not provide a locking mechanism. I was referring to a new feature implemented in 2.3 version of FtpVC.
psguru
PrestoSoft