Strange horizontal scrollbar behaviour

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Strange horizontal scrollbar behaviour

Post by MudGuard »

Hi,

I just noted some odd behaviour regarding the scrollbars.

In version 5.0.1.16 (64bit) the scrollbar for the line inspector scrollbar behaves strangely.

With two lines, both a bit longer than the screen is wide (i.e. so that the horizontal scrollbar is needed) the following thing happens:

if you click in the right end of the scrollbar (just left of the arrow button), the line inspector scrolls as expected, but the scroll handle in the scrollbar gets very narrow.

before clicking:
|< ################################### ---- >|
click here -------------------------------------------^

Before clicking, the scrollbar handle #### represents the visible percentage of the line.

after clicking:
|< ------------------------------------------------ #### >|

expected behaviour:
|< ---- ################################### >|

And instead of just scrolling to the end of the (longer) line, ExamDiff Pro scrolls a whole window width.
Just before posting I noticed that the same behaviour applies to the two main windows (the comparison views) as well.

Other applications (e.g. Textpad, Notepad++, Firefox, Eclipse ...) show the expected behaviour, i.e. just scroll to the end of the line, not a full window width if (longest) line end is reached.

Andreas a/k/a MudGuard
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Strange horizontal scrollbar behaviour

Post by psguru »

This behavior is by design. It is identical to the way Microsoft Visual Studio editor behaves, minus the shortening of the scroll box. Clicking on that empty space to the right of the scroll box means scrolling one page to the right, and this is what EDP does. Some editors won't allow to scroll more to the right than the text allows, and some (including EDP) do.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MudGuard
Expert Member

Re: Strange horizontal scrollbar behaviour

Post by MudGuard »

Strange design ...