Request for new function with Hide...

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dlherms

Request for new function with Hide...

Post by dlherms »

Working with the 5.0 version and the hide function... After hiding some files, the total file count in the lower left hand corner is updated. However, the total lines in the lower left hand corner and the Added/Deleted/Changed counts in the lower right remain unchanged. It would be nice if 'Hide' would update all of those counts with the hidden files 'removed' for count purposes.

Thanks for a great product...
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Request for new function with Hide...

Post by psguru »

I think you use full file comparison mode. So while it would be nice to update line counts, this requires a re-comparison. The same is true when you perform file operations, such as copy or delete: diff/file counts are updated but not line counts.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

I understand what you are saying, and yes, this is for full file comparison. But I still wonder why the file counts cannot be updated from the original scan of the files? Seems like it would be possible to keep the insert/deleted/change counts for each of the participating files, and for the ones that are later hidden, you adjust the totals. From a design point, I would think you would want to keep those counts in sync with the visible files in the directory compare panel.

I wouldn't mind doing another comparison, but when I do so, all of the files that were hidden are now visible. So, I'm back to square one. I'm just looking for an easy way to get a quick changed LOC count from the directory comparison panel, omitting some of the files that I do not want included in the count.

Maybe I'm missing something here?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You are not missing anything. Unfortunately, EDP does not currently keep track of individual counts for added/deleted/changed lines for each file. It does store total diffs for each file (and these can be displayed if you chose to show the appropriate column) but this is not enough to adjust the lower-left status counts. So in your case the only way to get rid of some files is to use filters. You can quickly remove a file from comparison by using Right-Click | Filter | Exclude Name for the selected file, and this will also cause a re-comparison.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

I have used filters before, and I now have a saved set of options that gives me the exact comparison of files that I desire from the two directories. Unfortunately, it seems that the line counts include the files that are to be omitted via the filter. The only way I have been able to get the desired results is to physically copy the files I'm interested in then do the directory comparison against the copied set of files. But, this is a little cumbersome...
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

Well... I tried something a little different... The 'file path filter' within the options does not appear to effect the line counts... But the right click Filter->Exclude Name does. Is that the correct behavior for 'file path filter'?
dlherms

Post by dlherms »

Ah... directory comparison filters verses view filters..... I think I have this figured out...
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

That's right. It looks like this workaround is working for you.
psguru
PrestoSoft