The path is lost... well, not existent indeed.

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

The path is lost... well, not existent indeed.

Post by MSpagni »

I often use EDpro to keep in sync a backup copy of a subtree.
Sometimes I want to copy an empty directory from a pane to the other.

If the empty directory is not a subdir of a preexistent path but has as parent an "empty" directory (not exactly empty because of course it contains the relevant and really empty directory, that is) also non existent in the target panel, then the the copy fails because of "invalid path".

I try to explain it more clearly with an example.

Source tree: \a\b\c in which b and c are empty directories. (b is "empty" only because it doesn't contain files...)
Target tree: \a

N.B. EDpro shows only c and says "<empty directory>"; b is not shown anywhere else than in the path to c.

Try to copy c to the target and you get the error.

Of course this is a system problem, not strictly an EDpro one, but in the long run it's annoying.
Can you try to circumvent it, please?

Another hint: very often I want to prune a tree in a pane. I select all the relevant files and delete them.
Then I need to search and select all the leaf empty directories and delete them.
Then I need to search and select all the new leaf empty directories and delete them.
Then... etc. etc. until I reach the desired directory level.

What about an easy way to do it?

Thank you
psguru
Site Admin

Re: The path is lost... well, not existent indeed.

Post by psguru »

EDpro shows only c and says "<empty directory>"; b is not shown anywhere else than in the path to c.
Right, only terminal items are shown in recursive comparison.
Try to copy c to the target and you get the error.
Fixed in build build 4.5.1.33.
Another hint: very often I want to prune a tree in a pane. I select all the relevant files and delete them.
Then I need to search and select all the leaf empty directories and delete them.
Then I need to search and select all the new leaf empty directories and delete them.
Then... etc. etc. until I reach the desired directory level.

What about an easy way to do it?
You could switch to non-recursive comparison and delete the whole subdirectory. You could also re-compare once you deleted all of the directory's files, and the delete the <empty directory> item.

There could be an option to automatically delete a directory once all of its files are deleted but it may be dangerous.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

psguru wrote:Right, only terminal items are shown in recursive comparison.
Yes, that's correct and good.
I simply evidenced that to say that I have no way to, e.g., perform a copy of the missing path step by step because there is no way to select a non terminal item.

BTW: Thank you for the fix.
psguru wrote:You could also re-compare once you deleted all of the directory's files, and the delete the <empty directory> item.
That's exactly what I do.
The problem is in the once: it's once per directory level!
If the subtree is somehow "deep", the thing becomes annoying.
Then, having become "empty directories", the recompare puts them at the beginning of the (long) list while, perhaps, I was working near the end...
Not to say if, as is often my case, the recompare requires about a minute...
psguru wrote:There could be an option to automatically delete a directory once all of its files are deleted but it may be dangerous.
Yuk! Sure it is!
Not a good idea.

I'll try to find a better one.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Sorry, no top solution yet.

But a little idea yes: why are the empty directories at the top of the list even if I ask for a sort by path?
It seems reasonable to me to find them at their "natural" position.

Doing so, it becomes easier to remove them after having removed all the files of the subtree because they stay in the current screen and I don't have to scroll at the top of the list.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Good point: this is fixed in build 4.5.1.38.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

As usual: thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

psguru wrote:There could be an option to automatically delete a directory once all of its files are deleted but it may be dangerous.
After giving this some more thought, we've decided to implement this feature carefully: the user will be prompted whether to delete directories once all of their files are deleted. Like all messages, this prompt can be hidden, in which case the user's selection will be used in the future. This feature will be included in ExamDiff Pro 5.0 Beta, which we're aiming to release by the end of this month.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

What to say?
Thank you!