Trouble reading Javascript (.js) files

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
CyJobes

Trouble reading Javascript (.js) files

Post by CyJobes »

I’m getting some inconstancies when doing an examination of my local directories to the one on my FTP when it comes to .js files for javascript. I have also seen this with other ascii type files.
What I see is the local directory reporting the files as “Added” but the FTP side shows nothing.
My set up is like this:
Directory one: ftp://ftp:########@test.foo.org/aDirectory;type=a
Directory two C:\www\foo\aDirectory:

Code: Select all

Setup ignore is:
Include: *.php, *.html, *.htm, *.js, *.css, *.htc
Exclude: *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, *.zdat, *.pdf, *.swf, *.txt, *.xml, *.jar, *.xls, *.cgi, *.jsp, README, *.cfm, *.pl, *.asp, *.lasso, *.csv, *.sql, *.py, *.afp, *.code
Character Set: ASCII
Type of Comparison: Full file comparison
I have directories that are full of .js files that ExamDiffPro (EDPro) does not seem to compare right.
In one instance I pointed to the directory that was reporting to be empty on the FTP site, but full in the local directory.
I noticed that when I added a “/” to the path it gave me a bad result

ftp://ftp:#####@test.foo.org/aDirectory/fckeditor/_samples/_plugins/findreplace/;type=a
C:\www\foo\aDirectory\fckeditor\_samples\_plugins\findreplace\
Testing with the forward slash removed it read properly and saw the directories as identical.

ftp://ftp:#####@test.foo.org/aDirectory/fckeditor/_samples/_plugins/findreplace;type=a
C:\www\foo\aDirectory\fckeditor\_samples\_plugins\findreplace
I have seen this mainly with Javascript files, but have seen it happen to an HTML file too.

Notice that is is pointing to the directory rather than starting at the root of the site and walking in. Only if I look at the directory specifically I might see it correctly.

I double checked to make sure I uploaded the files in ASCII. Even uploaded one directory as ASCII only, but still the same result.
Any clues?
Thanks,
Cy
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Trouble reading Javascript (.js) files

Post by psguru »

I don't fully understand your explanation. It sounds like in the past you had problems with getting remote directories if their URLs contained a terminating '/', and I can understand that. But that's not the case for your current troubles, correct?

I also don't see what any of these have to do with the ASCII transfer -- that would only affect how linebreak characters are translated during the FTP transfer but not whether your files are downloaded or not. Also, file types (extensions) seem to be irrelevant.

ExamDiff Pro uses wget plug-in to fetch remote directories. Looks like, for some reason, wget sometimes fails to download your files. If the problem is reproducible, you can try running wget directly from the command line to see if it can download the files to a local directory:

"C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.js" "C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe" "ftp://ftp:########@test.foo.org/aDirectory;type=a" "C:\www\foo\aDirectory" 0
After running this command, check whether you got the files in C:\www\foo\aDirectory
psguru
PrestoSoft