Checking a file remotely

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
CyJobes

Checking a file remotely

Post by CyJobes »

How do I set up ExamDiff Pro to compare a local directory to a remote directory?

Is there a connect section in the options that I am not seeing? I would guess you need username and password. ???
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

If you installed 3.5 or 4.0 Beta with plug-ins, you can use URLs to point to a file or directory, such as ftp://ftp.server.com/test.txt. If you need to specify user name/password, use the standard notation: ftp//user:password@ftp.server.com/test.txt. You can also use HTTP URLs.
psguru
PrestoSoft
CyJobes

Still not working

Post by CyJobes »

I’ve tried using the example you gave and came up with some sort of windows error, and then any other attempts tell me the directory does not exist. I know it does, and when I get that error it doesn’t even seem to be acting like it is connecting to the FTP server because it happens instantly.

I do have the plugins for FTP, and they are checked. Am I supposed to do something to the plugins, or they just know what to do?

Below are the screenshots. For some reason I can’t get the last message to appear again. Probably will once I submit this. 8)
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

BTW - HTTP is not an option since I need to compare files against files before scripting since pages are PHP.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This could be a firewall or some other security-related issue. Try the following: press Ctrl+C when you get the error message, then paste the error into Notepad. Take the command line part from Notepad and run it from the MS-DOS prompt.

You can also tweak wget.js script parameters to produce more output from wget.
psguru
PrestoSoft
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

psguru wrote:This could be a firewall or some other security-related issue. Try the following: press Ctrl+C when you get the error message, then paste the error into Notepad. Take the command line part from Notepad and run it from the MS-DOS prompt.

You can also tweak wget.js script parameters to produce more output from wget.
Not sure I follow. I already can FTP, so why would the firewall be an issue?

It would really save me time to be able to compare files/directories on my remote server vs my dev server. Isn't there an easire way, or at least one in the works?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This is the way to compare remote files and directory in ExamDiff Pro. I just tried comparing files and directories via FTP, and both worked flawlessly.

The way I suggested would let you see where the plug-in (wget in this case) fails. Perhaps your syntax (which is not fully visible in the screenshots) is incorrect. In any case, running the plug-in from the command line is the best way to diagnose the problem.
psguru
PrestoSoft
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

Which part of this do I need? If I had an example and if you were more precise I would not need to keep asking questions.

I'm not trying to be rude, but detailed answers are very helpfull in a forum. Not just for me, but for the next person who may also have this problem. This way they get answers without more questions.

Which part do I need to place into the MSDOS prompt?

Code: Select all

Plug-in app "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.js" "C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe" "ftp://********:******@ftp.web2.atlanticbt.com/dev.lgfcu.org/exchange/" "C:\DOCUME~1\CYJOBE~1.LGF\LOCALS~1\Temp\ED4F59~1.TMP" 0 produced no output (its return code was 0).
This is what I get back if I put in only from "C:\WINDOWS...." to "...ED4F59~1.TMP"

C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wge
 JScript runtime error: Subscript out of range
But I have no idea if I did it right.
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

Sorry, just realized the whole line I pasted from MSDOS did not copy right. Here is what I got.

C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.js(6, 1) Microsoft
 JScript runtime error: Subscript out of range
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

After playing a bit with an incorrect password I was able to reproduce your problem (which also means that the most probable reason for the error is the incorrect login). You need to run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe" "ftp://********:******@ftp.web2.atlanticbt.com/dev.lgfcu.org/exchange/" "C:\DOCUME~1\CYJOBE~1.LGF\LOCALS~1\Temp\ED4F59~1.TMP"
This will give you the output that should be pretty easy to interpret.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The latest build of 4.0 Beta includes better plug-in diagnostics, especially for remote files and directories. Please give it a try.
psguru
PrestoSoft
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

Back at this again:

I placed this into the CMD prompt
"C:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\wget\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe" "ftp//user:#######@ftp.master.lgfcu.org"

I get the following
Resolving ftp... failed: Unknown host.

My password has a "#" in it. Do I need to place some sort of special character in its place?

Thankx
CyJobes

Post by CyJobes »

WOO HOO

I got it to work.

Found that %23 needed to be put in the place where # appeared in pass, plus a colon after FTP

Thanks,
Cy
CyJobes

Ahhhh, but I want more...

Post by CyJobes »

I've seen some programs that can compare a directory, and let you know when files are not identicle.

In other words, files are compared even as the directory is being compared and the files that are not identicle are hilighted in some fashion.

Is this already possible, and if so, how do I get such a display?

Thanks,
Cy
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Unless I'm missing something, ExamDiff Pro can already compare directories, and it can use different ways to do so (full file content comparison, CRC, size, tiemstamp etc. See Options | Dir Comparison.
psguru
PrestoSoft