starting up EDP with directories that are under C:\TEMP?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
andyholtmacc

starting up EDP with directories that are under C:\TEMP?

Post by andyholtmacc »

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour, using EDP 3.2c?

Basically, it seems to ignore parameters that are (i) subdirectories; AND (ii) under C:\TEMP.

To illustrate:

- Bring up the Windows Run dialogue
- Type "c:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\ExamDiff.exe" c:\ and hit Return
- EDP will start up, with the opening dialogue showing c:\ as the first directory to compare - that is fine, as it should be
- do the same again, but with this command line: "c:\Program Files\ExamDiff Pro\ExamDiff.exe" c:\temp - this time, EDP starts with the compare dialogue showing the last files to be compared, even though Directories is selected.

So, if this is the same for everyone, do I have to separately log this error, or will this forum post do the trick? I am a registered user.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

It works with EDP 3.0
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Actually, the behavior is the same for 3.0 and 3.2c. If the last comparison was for files, and you supply only one directory name, Compare dialog will take the second name from the file comparison. The same is true for supplying one file name after running directory comparison. This seems wrong; we'll try and fix it in the next release.
psguru
PrestoSoft
andyholtmacc

Post by andyholtmacc »

Hello psguru, I'm not sure I explained the issue clearly enough. In my case, the c:\temp (for example) that I supply as the first parameter is completely ignored. Can you tell me whether you see the same behaviour? cheers
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Try this: go to command line, then type "set", then hit Return. If your "TMP" setting is "C:\Temp", then the fix I mentioned in my previous reply will fix this problem too.
psguru
PrestoSoft
andyholtmacc

Post by andyholtmacc »

psguru wrote:Try this: go to command line, then type "set", then hit Return. If your "TMP" setting is "C:\Temp", then the fix I mentioned in my previous reply will fix this problem too.
Hi psguru, TMP (and TEMP) are set to c:\TEMP on my system. Thanks, I'll look out for the next version.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Alternatively, you may want to change your TMP setting to more common C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Temp folder (you can do this in Control Panel | System | Advanced | Environment Valiables).
psguru
PrestoSoft