Copy and pasting results into excel

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
bchapm

Copy and pasting results into excel

Post by bchapm »

I have previously been using the freeware version of ExamDiff and recently purchased ExamDiff Pro. In the freeware I was able to perform the following and I cannot figure out how to do this in ExamDiff Pro. I have selected to only view the differences. In the results for File 1 I select all and then copy and paste the results in to excel. In the freeware version when lines are added or removed it would paste an empty row. In ExamDiff Pro the empty rows are removed and all the results are grouped together. Is is possible to have the blank rows pasted into excel like the freeware version?

Example:
File 1 File 2
A
B
C
D
E

Results
File 1 File 2
A
B
C
D
E

Desired results copied and pasted into excel File 1
A
<empty row>
<empty row>
D
E

Desired results copied and pasted into excel File 2
<empty row>
B
C

Actual results copied and pasted into excel File 1
A
D
E

Actual results copied and pasted into excel File 2
B
C

Freeware results copied and pasted into excel
A
<empty row>
<empty row>
D
E
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Unfortunately (for your situation), EDPro tries to be "smart" and it never copies padding lines to clipboard.

One alternative is to export your diff report to HTML (File | Report), then open it in FireFox (IE will not properly handle linebreaks) and Copy from there. You will get the blank lines but also the line numbers.
psguru
PrestoSoft
bchapm

Post by bchapm »

Thanks for the information. Please consider as a future enhancement copying of padding lines to clipboard a configurable option. This is why my company uses examdiff so I was surprised the freeware version does this and examdiff pro doesn't. Thanks again for the reply.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I think we'll an option to copy padding lines, perhaps in the next version.
psguru
PrestoSoft