Session lost when Compare dialog cancelled

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
kdemuth

Session lost when Compare dialog cancelled

Post by kdemuth »

Overview:

When I click Cancel on the Compare dialog, one of my saved Sessions is lost/deleted.

Setup:
I have the "Show sessions" box checked on the Compare dialog, and "Compare Dialog always on top" and "Minimize when Compare New Pair" enabled in the Misc Options. I can provide copies of my existing setup/sessions if necessary.

Reproducing the problem:

1. Run ExamDiff.
2. On the Compare dialog, enable "Show Sessions", select "<Unnamed default session>",
3. Copy the default session and give the copy a new name (e.g. "test session").
4. The new session (e.g. "test session") will be selected; select "<Unnamed default session>" again.
5. Click Cancel on the Compare dialog, then exit ExamDiff.

Verifying the problem:

The next time ExamDiff is started, the copied session ("test session") will no longer exist. This only seems to happen when I select the "<Unnamed default session>" and click Cancel on the compare dialog; selecting another session or performing a comparison does not cause this problem.
Kristofer J. De Muth
Verium Systems
610 William Street
Elmira, NY 14901
E-Mail: kdemuth@veriumsystems.com
Phone: 607-215-5292
Fax: 530-688-5847
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This appears to be a bug. The fix will appear in the next public build of 3.5.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

I still seem to have this (or a related problem) in build 3.5.1.4, April 29, 2007. Is the 'fix' included and should I report the problem in more detail?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Yes, the fix is included in build 3.5.1.4. What exactly is the problem that you are having?
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

When I open ExamDiff, I get the Compare dialog, and I enable "Show Sessions", there are no sessions to choose from. The pulldown combobox only contains "<Unnamed default session>".

However when I Cancel (or start some comparison), the Files | Sessions shows me two past (named/saved) sessions.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This is most likely due to the bug in the previous version. Some sessions are still listed in one place in the Registry while the other does not have them (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Sessions vs. the items under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Settings).
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Okay, so it seems you still have to fix this part? (Or do I have to correct my registry?)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There's no fix for that. You need to correct your registry manually in case you don't see some sessions in the MRU lists.
psguru
PrestoSoft