Where's the Version Control?

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
jenjirah

Where's the Version Control?

Post by jenjirah »

I've a website with several different developers across the country. Thus far:
1. none of us are seeing each other as users
2. the versions & history seem to be per user per box and can't be seen by other users
3. another developer was even able to check in a file while I had it checked-out ("allow multiple checkout" is not checked ).

What have we done wrong with our setup, we've v2.2a? I really like your interface over other CVS products available, but I need reliable version control which I'm hoping FTPVC can provide.

Thanks,
jenjirah
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This is most likely the result of different developers having different values for Project Options | Startup | "FtpVC directory (relative to the remote directory)" setting. One way to prevent it is to upload an options file to your server and use the FtpVC option to load the file.

Another reason why files don't show action and user information is that "Update status of files after reading directory" option on the same Options page is not set. In the latter case your colleagues should use View | Refresh command.
psguru
PrestoSoft
jenjirah

Options file?

Post by jenjirah »

Yes, you stated some of these requirements in another posted answer. The "Update status of files after reading directory" option is set for all developers and the View | Refresh command has also been utilized. Still to no avail.

At this time, I have not required all developers to use the exact same FtpVC directory. You mentioned something new with this message response which is "One way to prevent it is to upload an options file to your server and use the FtpVC option to load the file. " How (in step-by-step detail) is this achieved?

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's how you can do it:

1. Go to Project Options, use Export to File button to save the option in a file with the following name: forceloadoptions.txt
2. Upload the options file to the FTP server (use the same remote folder as specified in your Startup options) using a regular FTP client.
3. Restart FtpVC -- it should now use options from forceloadoptions.txt file. Also, all users that connect to the same FTP folder with FtpVC will use the same options file.
4. The same can be done for Settings (use forceloadsettings.txt file).

All this is actually explained in FtpVC Help (you can see it online at https://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page= ... ct_startup).
psguru
PrestoSoft