Is "Set local file - Remote file time working"?

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
RabisH

Is "Set local file - Remote file time working"?

Post by RabisH »

I thout at first that this will help me to preserve file date and time. But...

What happining is:

i'v got added file and it's time/date is 2001 .... (etc) year (shown in your browser). Then i chek-out it (select set local file - remote file time), it changes files date/time to current time/date (shown in your browser) and to current date and whatever time :( Then i chek-in it, in your browser i can see oriinal date/time again, but local file now is not with original date/time :(

How can i get files with original timestamps? (i think it can be poossible because i can see original timestamps in you browser) And can copies on ftp server also preserve timestamps as well (it's original timestamp when it was copied)?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's how it works:

1. When you check out a file, you can choose how the local file's timestamp is set: (a) same as the remote file's timestamp, or (b) time of the check-out.

2. When you check in a file, the local file's timestamp does not change but the remote file's timestamp is set to the time of the check-in. If the file was not changed, the check-in becomes undo-check-out, and the remote file's timestamp goes back to the pre-check-out time.
psguru
PrestoSoft
RabisH

Post by RabisH »

When i check-out with option "same as the remote file's timestamp" my local file's time is set ok. But problem is that it is different than that shown in you browser. Maybe it is possible to make an options that at checkout time it set local file's time the same as time in your browser?

For example add added old file and it's date in history view is old but in ftp it is already curren (because ftp works so). So when i whant to get this first revision i will get file with wrong time (as it will be time not from your history view but real time of file in ftp) :(

How you determine if file has changed? (i'm using binary files)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

> Maybe it is possible to make an options that at checkout time it
> set local file's time the same as time in your browser?

I don't think it's right. When a file is checked out, FtpVC shows time of the operation (check-out), but the local file time is controlled by the option I mentioned earlier.

> So when i want to get this first revision i will get file with wrong time
> (as it will be time not from your history view but real time of file in ftp) :(

When you get a file, you have also an option to set local file time.

> How you determine if file has changed? (i\'m using binary files)

By CRC32.
psguru
PrestoSoft
RabisH

Post by RabisH »

I'm using binary files witch are used to make installler for program. I'm using "install maker" witch need check timestamps of files to know if they where changed and if so they are incorparated to patch.

Let's say i have 2003.01.01 added file at curent time of 2004.01.01. Later i chekout it at current time 2004.02.02. What i will have will be file with time of chekout (2004.02.02) or with time of remote file (2004.01.01). So "install maker" will think that that file changed, but it wasn't. That is my problem and i think that maybe you could integrate an options to set time not only to remote files time or chekout time but also to revision time (or whatever to call it). In my example i want time to be set to 2003.01.01.

Now i need to set local file time manualy to the time witch is shown in revision history :(

Maybe i'm in wrong direction or something? Sorry for my english, it' not my native language.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

OK, I see now what you mean. You are correct, when a file is uploaded (added or checked in), there's no way to set remote file time to match the time of the local file (not via FTP protocol that is). I'll add the following feature to the wish list at http://prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_suggestions : Option to set time for local files to revision time, and we'll try to implement it in 2.3 beta (next build hopefully).
psguru
PrestoSoft
RabisH

Post by RabisH »

Great !!!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The latest 2.3 beta now has this feature.
psguru
PrestoSoft