some instability

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dbmasters

some instability

Post by dbmasters »

I have 2.3, I want to upgrade to 2.4, but I do have one big problem with the app.

While it is cool, does what it says, if a server is slow to respond to FTP, such as mine is frequently in the evening, the app crashes rather than erroring out, which is incredibly annoying.

Is this issue resolved in 2.4?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Well, since the issue was never reported, and therefore never reproduced, it's not fixed. However, 2.4 does provide several stability fixes.

Please try it out and let us know if the problem is still there.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

seems hard to believe I am the only one with the problem...I just started using FTPVC again on a new long-term project so it had been a while since I used it...I'll try the new version, see how it does.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

did it again on the very first checkin a tried to do...stops responding and crashes, then did it when I relaunched as well...
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

in the interest of being perfectly honest and blunt, 2.4 is exponentially worse in this regard than 2.3. I don't know if there is any logs or anything I can get you to help debug the issue, if not, I am going to have to move on to another product...there is no way I can work like this.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

If the program crashes, it's in no way normal. I can assure you that we'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

However, since we cannot reproduce this problem, we'll need some cooperation form you. The trace logs are always helpful. Also, when the program crashes, you usually get the Windows Crash dialog that contain the address of a crash. Could you at least let me know what the address was?

Thank you.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

I have the windows generated logs given in the crash report and the FTPVC trace log, where do I send it? support@prestosoft.com?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I got your mail, looking into it now.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

For the benefit of other FtpVC users, here's were we are with this problem: for this particular user, upgrading to Internet Explorer 7.0 made WinInet.dll (used by FtpVC) much more stable.

Some technical details:

The hanging occurs in the call to WinInet's FtpFindFirstFile API, which sometimes blocks.

As you probably know, Wininet.dll is a Microsoft DLL used for Internet communications (HTTP, FTP etc.). Now, I'm not sure why a call made from FtpVC to wininet!FtpFindFirstFile causes the hanging. It's worth trying to use IE to get a file via FTP.

Try searching for:

IEXPLORE.EXE hungapp crash

Seems that a lot of users are having similar problems with IE. For example, some recommend following this MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/318378

Some firewalls are known to cause intermittent problems with WinInet.dll.

Also, you may want to try using Passive FTP option in FtpVC. It might help.
psguru
PrestoSoft