Check Out with Check In

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
moelski

Check Out with Check In

Post by moelski »

Hi!

We figured out an enhancement for FtpVC and maybe you can realize it.

If I work with my sourcecode without having an internet connection, I can´t do a checkout checkin. I have to wait if there is a connection available and then I must do the following steps:
- Check Out (with option "Don´t overwrite local files")
- Check In (with notification the other programmer)
- Get (with option "Make writeable")

It would be a great enhancement if you put this 3 steps together into one additional function. I select my source files which where changed and use the new function.
FtpFC will do the following:
- do a checkout checkin and don´t overwrite local files (additionally it should send a notification)
- don´t set my local files to write protected

What do you think about it?
Greetz Dominik
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I think I'm a little confused. Let me see if I understand your scenario.

1. You get a file (or more than one but we can talk about a single file).
2. Your Internet connection is no longer available.
3. You make the file writable and edit it.
4. Your Internet connection is back.
5. You want to check in your changes. So you check out the file with option "Don't overwrite local files" and then check in your file.

Now, I don't see why you want to do a Get on the file with option "Make writeable" (the file is still the same, and why do you want to make it writable if it's checked in) and how notifying other programmers is relevant here.

Another question: why wouldn't you do a Check-Out in step 1 (that would also make the file writable so you would have to it in step 3)?
psguru
PrestoSoft