BUG: The handle is invalid. (error 6)

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
grimblefritz

BUG: The handle is invalid. (error 6)

Post by grimblefritz »

This has been occurring periodically with the last few beta releases. Auto-refresh is on, and sometimes (not always) when FtpVC does its refresh, an error dialog appears. It will say something like this:

#*%/: The handle is invalid. (error 6)

The first bit is usually gibberish. I presume this is some file or device the system thinks it is trying to access.

Here is the last bit of what's in the output pane when this occurs:

+++ Reconnecting to the FTP server...
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 3 of 250 allowed.
220-Local time is now 07:54. Server port: 21.
220 You will be disconnected after 4 minutes of inactivity.
---------------------------------------------------
Message Box: €‡Y/: The handle is invalid. (error 6)
OK button was selected
---------------------------------------------------
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 3 of 250 allowed.
220-Local time is now 07:54. Server port: 21.
220 You will be disconnected after 4 minutes of inactivity.

I think the problem is related to the FTP server's timeout being 4 minutes, and FtpVC's auto-refresh being set at 10 minutes, and the inactivity timeout prevention being set at 5 minutes. So the session times out before it can either prevent a timeout or do a refresh.

I'll adjust the inactivity timeout prevention, which should stop the error on my setup; however, I think FtpVC should be able to deal with a lost connection without throwing an error.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This used to work before -- and there's still code for it: when a disconnect occurs, FtpVC would automatically (and silently) re-connect. Could you send me (privately) a debug trace for a case when such error takes place?
psguru
PrestoSoft
grimblefritz

I'll try to get you a trace

Post by grimblefritz »

Since I adjusted the timeout prevention to be shorter than the server's timeout period, I've not really had a problem. But, I'll fiddle with it (unfiddle with it?) and see if I can get a trace.