enhancement idea

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
strainsa

enhancement idea

Post by strainsa »

:idea: It would be great if the ExamEiff tool allowed command line processing or batch processing. Example: I want to monthly compare 100 files that have been updated to their baseline files. Another idea: A summary report on this batch process that would just show a count of added, deleted, changed lines for each file pair. :idea:
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

EDPro already allows command line processing (type "examdiff /?" in Command Prompt). Also, if you compare two folders and output HTML report, you'll get total stats for all compared files. This doesn't still cover your "batch processing" suggestion. Perhaps the following feature on the wish list does though: "Compare file lists (text files that contain file paths in each line)".
psguru
PrestoSoft
Ed

Post by Ed »

If I've understood correctly I would find this feature very useful from time to time. I shall shortly be editting around 100 files and would like to see every line that has changed on one screen with the option of the previous/next unchanged n lines.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

In the meantime, until this feature is implemented, you need to place all of your small files in one directory (before editing) and another (after editing), then use directory comparison with full file comparison options.
psguru
PrestoSoft
strainsa

enhancement idea reply

Post by strainsa »

I tried what you suggested but did not get any differences in the html file.
This is what I ran:
------------------------------------------------------------------
path c:\program evals\examdiff pro
examdiff c:\scott\test\baseline c:\scott\test\latest /i /w /b /l /e /k /t /r2 /html /o:diff.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Each directory has one test file. Results should be 6 added, 3 deleted and 18 changed between the 2 files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the results:
baseline.cpp .\ 118596 CPP File 10/8/2003 4:13:12 PM Deleted RA
latest.cpp .\ 124916 CPP File 3/15/2004 2:29:10 PM Added A
Legend: Added(1) Deleted(1) Changed(0) Newer(0) Older(0)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any idea what option(s) I left out to get the desired results?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

To use full file comparison options in directory comparison go to Options | Dir Comparison and uncheck all settings under "Do not perform full file comparison". Once you get the results you expect in the GUI, you can export your options to a file, then use /g option (with the file name to which you saved your options) next time you start EDPro. You can also specify all "Do not perform full file comparison" options using command line (/!s /!y /!u /!z /!dc /!dv).
psguru
PrestoSoft