BRAND NEW HOPES FOR SUCCESS!

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
skycom

BRAND NEW HOPES FOR SUCCESS!

Post by skycom »

HELLO, OK! I have searched high & low for a simple little application to help perfect a personal database on with little or no success. I am very active in Computer Support Forums which you may or may not know are SWAMPED with Logfile Interpretation Requests from users with Applications designed to TARGET & REMOVE malicious programming code. We freely translate these text logs as a courtesy to the general worldwide public. I have established a database of sorts but only find most apps. are geared strictly to the web or extremely limited in search & comparison capabilities, which is why i am interested that maybe EXAMDIFFPRO can finally bridge this gap for me. Instead of looking for CHANGES between text strings(Lines), i need the comparisons to MATCH between the 2 entry contents or pages of text! If EXAMDIFFPRO can work this particular avenue for me, it would be a tremendous help & advancement to satisfaction. I am to unfamiliar with this product as of right now,but, it does seem to possess this very capability needed to make organizing my comparisons into a well-rounded & competent database to rely on. There can be no room for mistakes in this specialty and is why i first want to appeal to this Forum for some feedback & advice. Thanks a Bunch and i look forward to your reply soon. Take Good Care.
Oh by the way, an expert on this software might help explain if i can do a MATCH, word order for WORD like this, Windows.Ini (In Both Panes/Different Locations).
I need to know if EXAMDIFFPRO can produce a MATCH RESULT from this. I need an EXAM MATCH capability FIRST, then toggle to DIFF after comparisons. THANKS!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro is a diff tool, and as such it MATCHES lines in order to find out the DIFFERENCES. You can see all the matches (we call them IDENTICAL lines) by using view filters (see View | Use View Filter menu command, and Options | View Filter). I don't know is that's what you are looking for though.

As far as treating Windows.Ini as a single word, you can do it by using Word Separators option in Options | Misc | General.
Last edited by psguru on Sun May 16, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psguru
PrestoSoft
skycom

Post by skycom »

THANKS ADMIN for checking the Board & looking in to this Topic. Your attention is appreciated.
I have discovered as much that you posted so far, and this is a positive step in the right direction im looking for. The filters are a HUGE feature in this case, otherwise it becomes just another of thousands of Apps. that are out to achieve a single purpose. This gives EXAMDIFF an advantage over the competition hands down. One note though, i have both EXAMDIFF applications at my disposal for personal assessment. The FREEWARE version equally performs the MATCHING IDENTICAL LINES duty with success. In this case, what other advantages in the PRO version is of interest? Thanks!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff (free) can only toggle between full view and diff only view. In ExamDiff Pro you can set up a view filter to show only identical lines, for instance. Also, ExamDiff Pro allow much more sophisticated line matching by ignoring line parts using regular expressions. For full list see
http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_eval
psguru
PrestoSoft
skycom

Post by skycom »

If i might ask further, does EXAMDIFFPRO identify matched expressions also individually? I know some others do, but i'm focused on this product for my needs. Also this is a must. Can it allow you to STORE a database of sorts of KEYWORDS to identify for MATCHING? Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you provide an example?
psguru
PrestoSoft
skycom

Post by skycom »

OK. Hopefully you are familiar with a Utility Tool named HiJackThis. Each and every logfile is different then the one before. Those LINES deemed "suspect" are marked for removal. The individual "items" or "text" need to be added & stored in my database in order to RECALL them for comparison on the next & following thereafter, Logfiles. This much would eliminate time on repeating occurances and allow the reading to concentrate on only the "new" suspect filenames or LINES. I hope this gives you a better description of what i,m up against & a picture of what i expect to have at disposal to deal with so much data.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I think it's possible but over time will become cumbersome. You could ignore "old" lines using regular expressions, and every time you need to compare a new pair you could add a new regex to the field in EDPro options (EDPro automatically saves your options between runs).
Last edited by psguru on Sun May 16, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psguru
PrestoSoft
skycom

Post by skycom »

Nice to see more posters coming online here. Keeps down the echos. ;) Seriously, i think the saving between runs option is idea. How long is the TRIAL PERIOD for the Pro version? If its 30 days, that may prove too limited in my case. I can spent roughly about 1 hour per day evaluating and thats not nearly enough. I can however spend more evaluation time on weekends. If i can just get the proper parameters set-up to do the matched sets, which it is already capable of, and configure a way to "STORE" these matched findings, this may be the application of choice as i see it. Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Trial period is 30 days. However, 30-day extensions are available upon request.
Last edited by psguru on Sun May 16, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psguru
PrestoSoft
skycom

Post by skycom »

Good. Not even attempted yet to examine all the features then put them to work on a test run. Will give it some time tonight.
Thanks
Nice Feedback
skycom

Post by skycom »

If you really want to see a product take off and popularity of a Forum like this then the developers should really take stock in what i'm trying to point out here as a need to be able to make MATCHED COMPARISONS of a user-defined keywords data-storage, somewhat like stickynotes but on a much higher level of placement. There are literally thousands of technical advisors & users alike that are despearately in need of a program to speed up data analyzing & the first one to hit the market with this Tool will benefit immensely.