Could not start plug-in app

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
CrazyRob

Could not start plug-in app

Post by CrazyRob »

When I attempted to compare two files with ExamDiff Pro, I received pop-up alert that read, "Could not start plug-in app. File C:\ [full path and filename ] will be compared as it.: The system cannot find the file specified. (Error 2).

Can someone explain what all of this means? Thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Could not start plug-in app

Post by psguru »

Please provide more details: what version of ExamDiff Pro you are using, what file names are. Also, it would help if you provided the exact error message.

Generally, this message means that the types of files you compared have plug-ins enabled for them (Options | Plug-ins), and that somehow your plug-ins are not installed. You can either uncheck plug-ins for this file type, or reinstall ExamDiff Pro and enable plug-ins during the installation.
psguru
PrestoSoft
usetheforce

Post by usetheforce »

Hi,
I am getting this message as well! So frustrating!!
Have reinstalled the Program but no success when attempting to compare 2 PDF files. Have checked the Plugins and they seem to be installed. Need some assistance asap!

I am using ExamDiff Pro 7 and wish to compare 2 PDF's side by side.

Thanks!
Attachments
ExamDiff Pro Error.jpg
ExamDiff Pro Error.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 7627 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It looks like the plug-in (Xpdf) failed to produce any output from your PDF file. You can test this by running Xpdf (pdftotext.exe more specifically) directly from the command line with your file (see the command line options under Options | Plug-ins in ExamDiff Pro).

If it doesn't work, the problem is with Xpdf (a third-party tool).

If it works, at least we'll know that the problem is related to how ExamDiff Pro handled the plug-in output. In such case try using any other plug-in, such as Word document comparison.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

My two cents: it seems you are trying to compare a file with a temporary file.
Very easily, the temporary file is gone before the plugin could reach (read) it.