"Re-synching" the compare?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Poppa

"Re-synching" the compare?

Post by Poppa »

i notice that once a deletion/addition has been encountered, the compare is now confused.

In the attached sample, note that line 21236 has been inserted on the left. The right window shows as a difference, but it is really the next line down on the left (I.E Left 21237 is the same as 21236 on the right.)

Shouldn't it recognize the inserted line and resynch the remaining rows and not identify them as changed?

Options?

Thanks
Poppa
Attachments
Sample1.jpg
Sample1.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
psguru
Site Admin

Re: "Re-synching" the compare?

Post by psguru »

I'm not sure how you got to the state your screenshot shows. If it's the result of a comparison, lines that you think must match are not really identical. Something that you can't readily see is still different, such as white space. In any case, you can use the manual synchronization feature to link the lines in question.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Poppa

Post by Poppa »

No, line 21237 on the left is identical to line 21236 on the right. If i add the line, the rest compare as expected.

I'll look for a manual sync tool. I had seen a block copy but it doesn't work for the state of this data. I believe that only worked when it was flagged as a change whereas this is marked as a deletion....

Just off the top of my head, i manual resynch may be ok if there's only one or two of these but some files i comapre are huge. It might be a neat feature to have an option where i could sst it to check the next line against the next 1, 2 ... n lines before marking it as not matched.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

No, line 21237 on the left is identical to line 21236 on the right. If i add the line, the rest compare as expected.
I'm still a little confused here. If the lines were identical, they'd be aligned. Perhaps you could attach both of your files (or their fragments).
I'll look for a manual sync tool.
I meant manual linking of lines to align them. See http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=h ... ronization
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

I think Poppa means to say that line 21236 has been _manually_ inserted on the left _after comparison_.

Manual editing does not result in an automatic re-sync, probably because you may want to change something more before doing a complete recompare (which can take a long time on large files). You can recompare manually (using menu, toolbar or Ctrl-R) after manual editing.

But it would be nice to allow for "Replace in First/Second" even after manual editing. This should not be too hard when line-endings are not changed (a change within a line).
And it would really be nice if it were possible after line-endings are changed (deleted/added, by keyboard or by pasting). Maybe one could think "Replace in First/Second" of a way to implement some sort of record of which line-endings were changed (no compare record, so "Replace in First/Second" is disabled?) and which remain the same ("Replace in First/Second" enabled). But of course that would also imply adding non-existing blank lines on either side.

Yahoo.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

But it would be nice to allow for "Replace in First/Second" even after manual editing. This should not be too hard when line-endings are not changed (a change within a line).
This is already possible. Try typing something in a line -- "Replace in First/Second" are still enabled.
And it would really be nice if it were possible after line-endings are changed (deleted/added, by keyboard or by pasting). Maybe one could think "Replace in First/Second" of a way to implement some sort of record of which line-endings were changed (no compare record, so "Replace in First/Second" is disabled?) and which remain the same ("Replace in First/Second" enabled). But of course that would also imply adding non-existing blank lines on either side.
This is a lot trickier, of course. But some changes in that direction will be coming in the next version.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

This is already possible.
Cool. My mistake.
But some changes in that direction will be coming in the next version.
Looking forward to it.
Yahoo.