saving file from filter-view

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

saving file from filter-view

Post by Yahoo Serious »

When saving in filter view, only the differences of the file are saved.

After a search&replace, I typically compare the old and new file-versions. I sometimes have to reverse some replacements I did not anticipate. Before finishing I use the view filter, to only show the differences.

However, if I save in filter view, only the differences of this file are saved. I did not expect that, and would like to be able to (also) save the file from this view.
However, I am usually alarmed by the "Save As" browse-dialog (except when I have a lot of 'read-only' files (after a compare directory window), where I might just hammer through all dialogs...)

But, when closing the window (typically when launched from a compare directory window), I do not get a "Save As" browse-dialog, but just a regular save-yes/no/cancel-dialog. So I am not alarmed, and I end up with a file containing half(!) of the differences and the two original files.

So in general I have these requests:

1. could you replace "Save changes-yes/no/cancel-dialog" with a "Save As" browse-dialog when closing the window in filter view.

2a. could you add the possibility to save the complete file even when the window is in filter view.

2b. when closing the window in filter view, could you (also) add an option/dialog to choose to save the complete file or half(!) of the differences.

I think 1 will be easy and 'urgent', 2a will be easy (extra icon/menu-choice) and 2b won't be too hard (although it may clutter your dialogs and/or options)

TIA, Yahoo
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You are right, it's a bug. The solution will be as follows: when a file is viewed in the "Use view filter" mode, the file that is actually saved will be the complete file (i.e. the file in its state before entering the view filter mode). This is what the user expects. There'll be no Save As dialogs or special options.
So I am not alarmed, and I end up with a file containing half(!) of the differences and the two original files.
The only reason why you'd get half of the diffs is that your view filter is set up so that not all the diffs are shown. But again, this will not be the case when the above fix is implemented (which should be available shortly, in the next build of 4.0 Beta).
psguru
PrestoSoft