Preserve installation path

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Preserve installation path

Post by AlexL »

Hello.

Usually, when a new EDP version is out, I reinstall it via uninstall and install again (my habit from Windows 9x times).

I want to install EDP on D:, but the default path is always C:, when I install it after uninstall. So sometimes I forget to pay attention to this, and by mistake install EDP on C:, which causes reinstall again.

Is is possible to preserve installation path?

Of course, this means that uninstall leaves things in registry, but some programs have two uninstall modes: uninstall for reinstall, and uninstall totally.

Maybe you will find even more reasons to implement "uninstall for reinstall" mode in EDP.

Or maybe you will find acceptable to leave things in registry after uninstall - without two uninstall modes.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro uses Inno Setup installer, and it doesn't provide the mode you are asking for. Once the application is uninstalled, the previous installation directory is wiped out from your computer.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:ExamDiff Pro uses Inno Setup installer, and it doesn't provide the mode you are asking for. Once the application is uninstalled, the previous installation directory is wiped out from your computer.
Sorry, but I'm not sure that your answer is related to my question. Below are two reasons:

1) The directory is not wiped. License file is left there. I just checked it with v4.0.0.6.

2) Even if it would be wiped, I was speaking not about directory, but about registry settings.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Perhaps I wasn't clear: what I meant is that the directory is wiped out from the registry, not that the directory itself is deleted.

I don't really see the need to uninstall EDPro prior to reinstalling it though.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:I don't really see the need to uninstall EDPro prior to reinstalling it though.
I do this in order to prevent increasing counter values for commonly used DLL-s (as it was in Win9x). This is in order to provide a way for OS to recognize a case, when a non-used DLL can be deleted, because all installed applications (that used it) had their paired uninstall. Is it not relevant for WinXP? Why?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I don't think any of this is relevant: EDPro doesn't install any DLLs.
psguru
PrestoSoft