bug: file-type-filter on undefined external editor

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

bug: file-type-filter on undefined external editor

Post by Yahoo Serious »

When browsing for an external editor, with the dialog-window opened by:
Edit > Options > Misc > external editor - Command: FileSelect-button
The dialog-window file-type-filter (*.exe;*com) is not always applied, on the contrary: no files are shown, not even *.exe. After changing the filter it to *.* (and optionally changing it back), the appropriate files are shown.

This seems to happen if the external editor already has a not existing 'name', like the default "??". (A blank name does not have this effect.)

Have fun with this tiny flaw...
Yahoo
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

A minor addition:
Pressing enter when this FileSelect-button is selected does not open this dialog.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This seems to happen if the external editor already has a not existing 'name', like the default "??". (A blank name does not have this effect.)
This is not a bug. The File Selection dialog is simply trying to use the name as a filter. The result is the same if you run Notepad, File | Open, then type '??' in the File Name field, and hit Enter.
Pressing enter when this FileSelect-button is selected does not open this dialog.
You should use Space key, not Enter.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

The File Selection dialog is simply trying to use the name as a filter.
Then I would suggest not defaulting to "??", but using an empty string. (Or is that just an ancient setting I'm carrying along?)
Pressing enter when this FileSelect-button is selected does not open this dialog. You should use Space key, not Enter.
I think the ('normal') default would be Enter? Space is only used to (un)check checkboxes/radiobuttons, IMO. But I'll use Enter that instead, thanks or the tip.[/quote]
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Then I would suggest not defaulting to "??", but using an empty string. (Or is that just an ancient setting I'm carrying along?)
The default is actually notepad (you can see this by resetting defaults for the page). I'm not sure how '??' got there, perhaps due to some bug.
.I think the ('normal') default would be Enter? Space is only used to (un)check checkboxes/radiobuttons, IMO.
'Enter' typically pushes the default button. 'Space' toggles state of the selected control, which in the case of a button means "Press the button".
psguru
PrestoSoft