split camparison panes over two monitors

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

split camparison panes over two monitors

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Today I got a second monitor (yahoo!).

One of the useful features seems to be the possibility to have an easier EDP-comparison of 'long' lines with word wrap off. So I resize EDP to have one pane on the left monitor and the second on the right. And immediately some feature requests pop up:

- w/could you make the file panes undockable

- w/could you make the window resize symmetrically (e.g. when pressing Ctrl when resizing). This way, the center stays in place and I don't have to move the window back to have one pane per screen after resizing it.

I figure the first one will require quite some coding (esp. designing/using manual sync points, and sync scrolling), but the second one is fairly easy?

Cheers, Yahoo.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

w/could you make the file panes undockable
As you suspected, this is unlikely ;(
w/could you make the window resize symmetrically (e.g. when pressing Ctrl when resizing). This way, the center stays in place and I don\'t have to move the window back to have one pane per screen after resizing it
Perhaps I misunderstood your request but I don't see how keeping the center in place is going to help in the 2-monitor situation.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Usually I have files 'narrow' enough to fit in a EDP-window on one monitor. Incidentally I 'need' a wider window (screen) [or scroll back and forth, like I used to]. the easy thing to do, would be to place EDP in the middle and then resize it as far as I need.

When I place EDP in the middle, I have the vertical center splitter/man-sync-panel in the middle, and I have one file exactly on the left monitor and one file on the right monitor. When I resize, widening the window to the right side, the center panel moves to the right, and part of my left pane (file) has text on the right monitor.

However, if I could resize symmetrically, the center panel would stay in the middle, and I would still have one file exactly on the left monitor and one file on the right monitor. They would just both have wider panes.

I know this will not contribute to any revolutions, but it would be nice to have ;-)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I think I understand now. You place EDP in the "middle" of your 2-monitor desktop, and the resize it.

Let me ask you: can't you instead place EDP so that it occupies the whole single monitor, and then resize it? When you resize EDP, it keeps the splitter relative position, so the the splitter moves as you resize the main window. This should put the splitter right in the middle of your 2-monitor space once you resize the main window to occupy the whole space (assuming that the splitter was in the middle of a single monitor).
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Yes, I guess I could, but that would 'require' me to always 'maximize EDP.

What I actually do (now), is an approximation, I just dont enlarge it that much to start with. So I do not start at the far edge of the screen. Because usually I don't like it to cover everything, but still be able to see the code I'm working on, which I'll probably adapt viewing the difference.

But, when it turns out to be necessary to (temporarily) enlarge it a little more (at this enormously long line), I have to resize AND move it. And when I want to shrink it back, I have to resize AND move it.

So it would be nice to be able to be lazy and prevent the move, by having 'some programmer' fix this for me ;-)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

OK, we'll add Shift-resizing (that will keep the center) to the next release.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

Cool, thanks.
Yahoo!

PS: I assume you'll post here when it's released
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I assume you'll post here when it's released
Sure.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Re: split comparison panes over two monitors

Post by Yahoo Serious »

[I wonder whether I should open a new thread, but I guess I won't.]
I think Shift-resizing (that will keep the center splitter position, in stead of the left window position) was added in EDP 3.5.2 .

However, I just upgraded to 4.5.2.1, and it seems to have disappeared. Even worse, Shift-resizing seems to force my left window position to 0.
(This may be due to my configuration, where my primary monitor is on the right. Hence my 'middle' (splitter) position is somwehere around -10.)

Could you fix/reintroduce the Shift-resizing behavior?
Thanks in advance, Yahoo
psguru
Site Admin

Re: split camparison panes over two monitors

Post by psguru »

You are right. The fix will appear in the next build of 4.5, which is expected in the next couple of days.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Build 4.5.2.2 implements a fix to the Shift-resize problem.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Yahoo Serious
Expert Member

Post by Yahoo Serious »

I tried it and it is correct, thanks.
(Too bad my license turns out to end June 26 2009, but it's a bug I think I can cope with.)
Yahoo.