synchronize error

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
seeq

synchronize error

Post by seeq »

Hi i have next problem:

exandiff underlined text with blue color wrong. there is no deleted pats. How to disable all this synchronization(blue\red). ??? All info in txt files already synchronized.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Unfortunately your image is too small to see any details. Could you provide a better snapshot?
psguru
PrestoSoft
seeq

Post by seeq »

psguru
Thanks for the answer. I compare 2 text files (logs files). The information in them is written down by blocks. It is visible in drawing. All blocks are already synchronous. It is necessary for me to see changes in each line simply. Synchronisation is not necessary to me. How to turn off synchronisation? As some blocks are identical with the following, Examdiff considers that there are inserted or deleted blocks, but it not so. Whether, probably to disable synchronisation???
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It is visible in drawing.
Not to me.
All blocks are already synchronous.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
It is necessary for me to see changes in each line simply.

You are using binary comparison. There are no lines there.
How to turn off synchronisation?
Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "synchronisation" but there's no way to change the way ExamDiff Pro aligns the views.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

seeq wrote:psguru
Thanks for the answer. I compare 2 text files (logs files). The information in them is written down by blocks. It is visible in drawing. All blocks are already synchronous. It is necessary for me to see changes in each line simply. Synchronisation is not necessary to me. How to turn off synchronisation? As some blocks are identical with the following, Examdiff considers that there are inserted or deleted blocks, but it not so. Whether, probably to disable synchronisation???
If I understood you right, your case is classic for using Manual Synchronization feature. Provided you have EDP v3.5+, you can read about it in help. And don't forget to enable the splitter:

Code: Select all

View->
       Synchronizing Splitter
If I'm not mistaken, you can't disable automatic synchronization feature of EDP (though sometimes I wanted to ask such option, I was always too lazy to think about the proper phrasing), but beginning from v3.5 you can control its behavior using the Manual Synchronization feature.

Question to EDP developer: is it possible to turn off the intelligence of EDP, and show files line-by-line - without getting lines to be indicated as moved, deleted or inserted? In terms of Manual Synchronization - I mean make EDP think as if each line of both panels is marked as link.

Of course, if files have different number of lines, the trailing lines will be shown as now.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Question to EDP developer: is it possible to turn off the intelligence of EDP, and show files line-by-line - without getting lines to be indicated as moved, deleted or inserted?
No, it isn't. We've been thinking about implementing "fuzzy matching" where the user would be able to define the level of similarity of lines that are to be matched. If such feature were implemented, what you are asking for would be equivalent to setting similarity to 0.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Goerge255

Post by Goerge255 »

Dear Alex,

Indeed this is a very similar gap in EDP's functionality, as described at:

viewtopic.php?t=421

I cannot understand why EDP developers implemented the very complex matching/synchronization routines, but did not do simple byte-by-byte comparison like most comparison utilities have (e.g. HexCmp).

It would be sooooooo much faster too!
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

Goerge255 wrote:Dear Alex,

Indeed this is a very similar gap in EDP's functionality, as described at:

viewtopic.php?t=421

I cannot understand why EDP developers implemented the very complex matching/synchronization routines, but did not do simple byte-by-byte comparison like most comparison utilities have (e.g. HexCmp).

It would be sooooooo much faster too!
I agree that in those specific cases that are mentioned in both threads (and also in several cases that I have at my work), it would be faster, simpler, and give more benefit. But I assume that the current general algorithm does not let to implement it in easy way, otherwise it would be already implemented. That's why we'll wait for some solution that the developer will consider reliable enough to avoid breaking the current functionality.

In addition, I'd like to note that we speak here about line-by-line comparison, and not about byte-by-byte as your thread mentions. But I admit that some relation between these things may exist.

Thank you.
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:
Question to EDP developer: is it possible to turn off the intelligence of EDP, and show files line-by-line - without getting lines to be indicated as moved, deleted or inserted?
No, it isn't. We've been thinking about implementing "fuzzy matching" where the user would be able to define the level of similarity of lines that are to be matched. If such feature were implemented, what you are asking for would be equivalent to setting similarity to 0.
I tried v4.0.0.0 Beta, but could not find this new feature. More, it still exists in the wish list.

So after analyzing the list of new features in v4 vs. v3.5, I'm not sure that I understand the reason of EDP title change relating major version number. Why it is not v3.6?

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Every release has a different emphasis, and 4.0 delivers more improvements for directory comparison than for file comparison. We did attempt to implement "fuzzy matching" but this feature appeared more complex than we anticipated, and it didn't make it into this release.

As far as why we called it 4.0 instead of 3.6, you may want to read http://www.prestosoft.com/blog/2007/10/ ... -beta.html . The directory comparison filters feature is a great performance booster, and we've seen this in our internal testing. There are other interesting new features as well that will appeal to the users who tend to compare directories more than files.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

BTW, not all is lost yet. There's still a chance for the "fuzzy matching" to make it into 4.0.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

Yes, this feature seems to me very complicated and with a high risk of many potential bugs.

Maybe there is a chance to see some particular case of it, i.e. comparing line-by-line (though I don't know what to do with binary files)? This seems to me simple enough, and in demand of several users - both in the forum and around me.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

We still consider this a special case of fuzzy matching. Developing this as a separate feature doesn't make much sense as it would be thrown away once fuzzy matching is implemented.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Re:

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:We still consider this a special case of fuzzy matching...
I did not try the v4.5-beta version yet, but already have a question: will the new feature (http://www.prestosoft.com/blog/2008/07/ ... ching.html) help us to solve issues mentioned in this thread?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: synchronize error

Post by psguru »

Yes. Setting Similarity to 0 in Options | Compare | Advanced will effectively force ExamDiff Pro to compare line-by-line.
psguru
PrestoSoft