Binary comparison before text comparison

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
qangela

Binary comparison before text comparison

Post by qangela »

Hi,

I'm testing a demo of the ExamDiff Pro and have a question.

I selected to ignore all white spaces for Text Compare and to always treat TXT files as text, but if I open 2 txt files with identical text and not identical file size (due to spaces) via the command line, ExamDiff says: "Identical text files". While I want to know if these files are binary identical. How can I enforce the binary comparison before the text comparison for TXT files that I want to treat as text files?

Thanks
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Binary comparison before text comparison

Post by psguru »

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do. If you want EDPro to compare twice with different options, it's going to be done by you.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

If you select "always treat TXT files as text" then obviously EDP compares them as text and, if you select ignore all white spaces, the two files are detected as equal even if binarily different.
If you want to perform (also) a binary comparison you can do many things.

I suggest to start by letting EDP comparing as per default, then switching to the other way by typing <ctrl>Q or clicking the relevant button on the toolbar or selecting "Files->Toggle text/binary comparison".

How often I use the keyboard or my toolbar to change the options!
There's no one single solution that fits all.
Alpengreis
Expert Member

Post by Alpengreis »

Hello

But if I let the QUICK OPTIONS in Compare Dialog to AUTOMATIC, then the default setting is compare TXT files as text (without any changes in "real" options). Then, after a Ctrl+Q the compare is made in binary. After closing EDP it does automatically compare as text again (via Compare Dialog) ... at least that's the case with current beta 12.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

To make it stick you need to change the mentioned option.
psguru
PrestoSoft