Rule-Based Comparison - Differentiation btw Important and Unimportant Differences

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Jens51h

Rule-Based Comparison - Differentiation btw Important and Unimportant Differences

Post by Jens51h »

Dear all

I am new to ExamDiff Pro and evaluate the differences to Beyond Compare.
I wonder if it is possible to compare a directory based on rules. I couldn't find it in help-manual and web search, therefore I raise this request for support in this forum.

What I would like to learn:

Is it possible to define rule with e.g. "unimportant differences" and conduct a rule based comparison, that has one of the following outputs:

> Binary same: The files are exactly the same.
> Rules-based same: The files have binary differences, such as character encoding, that can be ignored.
> Unimportant differences: A rules-based comparison found only unimportant differences.
> Important differences: A rules-based comparison found important differences.

Link to a feature description:
https://www.scootersoftware.com/v4help/ ... mpare.html

Output should preferably indicated with e.g. different colour.

Thank to community in advance.

Best Regards,

Jens
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Rule-Based Comparison - Differentiation btw Important and Unimportant Differences

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro uses a different approach and hence different terminology. It does not classify differences as important or not. When it performs full file (content) comparison (Options | Directory Compare), it uses all the Ignore rules specified in Options | Text Compare.
psguru
PrestoSoft