Install of new version "forgets" customized toolbar

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
David B. Trout

Install of new version "forgets" customized toolbar

Post by David B. Trout »

COMPLAINT / BUG REPORT:

Whenever a new version of EDP is installed the toolbar is always reset to the default.

This is not only quite annoying but defeats the whole purpose of allowing the user to customize their toolbars, choosing which buttons they want and in which order.

Each time I install a new version of EDP I then have to go through the pain of customizing my toolbars all over again.

What's the point of allowing the user to customize their toolbars if you're going to completely ignore their customizations and reset them all back to their default settings whenever a new version gets installed? It doesn't make any sense.

I've tried saving (exporting) my settings (as well as my options too) before installing the new version, and then importing them afterwards, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. My toolbars always remain farqued up. I always have to go to the pain of taking the time and effort to re-customize my toolbars all over again.

This has been a problem for a long time now and it would be really great if you could get it fixed.

EDP is otherwise such a FANTASTIC product that a glitch like this is, to me, like seeing a pimple on the face of the Mona Lisa! It completely ruins an otherwise BEAUTIFUL product! No one wants to see an ugly blemish on what is otherwise such a beautiful painting, right? Well the same applies to EDP too!

Thank you for listening and I hope I haven't been too harsh. I am a HUGE EDP fan and have been for many, many years and will likely remain one until the day I die. Please keep up the good work.

(But PLEASE get this glitch fixed! Pretty please with sugar on top?)
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
"Programming today is a race between
software engineers striving to build bigger
and better idiot-proof programs, and the
Universe trying to produce bigger and better
idiots. So far, the Universe is winning"
- Rich Cook
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Install of new version "forgets" customized toolbar

Post by psguru »

If there is a bug, you need to be more specific. I just tested going from 10.0.1.21, with customized toolbars, to 11.0.0.6, and the toolbars were preserved, even after uninstalling version 10 first (while not deleting the Registry during that process).

Having said this, there are sometimes significant GUI layout changes that require the layout to be reset. The last such change occurred in build 10.0.1.5, so if you had a build prior to it, any higher build would ignore the previous GUI layout.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Re: Install of new version "forgets" customized toolbar

Post by MSpagni »

Do you customize the standard toolbars?
I don't know for sure, but I would not wonder if each installation/update restores the default.
I use a completely custom toolbar and that's untouched.

Furthermore, I still use windows XP (32 bit) and I discovered that the process of exporting the EDP settings has a size limit.Probably is 64 kb per key.
This truncates the toolbars info.
This limit is not present in the 64 bits windows 7 and windows 10.
I don't remember about 32 bits windows 7 and windows 10 but I think it works fine.

HTH