Sigh!

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Re: Sigh!

Post by MSpagni »

When you asked for the registry data I exported the whole "ExamDiff Pro" and the .reg file contains all the relevant data.
I find surprising that your "export" doesn't.
A buffer too small?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

See my answer about the "reg export" command. EDP simply uses it, so whatever it does on a particular Windows build, that will be the result of Export Settings.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

The difference is between "reg" (command line) and "regedit" (GUI).
Indeed, while "regedit" exports everything, "reg" can't export keys so big (limit of 64 kb per key? Just a guess.)
So the culprit is the windows (32) command "reg".

Now the workaround is simple (at least for me).
And you can hope not to have too many customers so P.I.T.A. :wink:

Thank you very much for your patience.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It could be a combination of XP and 32-bit. I wonder how it would behave, say, under 32-bit Vista, although perhaps not many are out there.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Just to close this subject (for now?), apparently the following two commands do the same thing:

reg export "HKCU\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro" c:\temp\dump2a.reg
regedit /e c:\temp\dump2b.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro"

However, the second one does produce the full key export on 32-bit XP, whereas the first may not. We can potentially switch EDP to use the second option, if the problem becomes a real PITA for multiple users. Except that all Microsoft docs suggest the first option, and the second is kind of an undocumented approach that seems to be a leftover from Windows 98(?) days.
psguru
PrestoSoft