Keeps opening on smaller monitor

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
diligent176

Keeps opening on smaller monitor

Post by diligent176 »

Just upgraded to the latest x64 version 8.0.1.4, but this problem has persisted for a while.
The program should open new windows on the same monitor I'm already working in.

My laptop screen is my Windows 7 "main" monitor (with the taskbar), and I have an larger external display that I like to run ExamDiff on.
Even though I run the program on the large screen, when I double click a folder, the new ExamDiff window opens on the small/main display.

I don't see any options to control this behavior, but logically it should just open on the same screen I'm using.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Keeps opening on smaller monitor

Post by psguru »

There is an option under Options | Misc, "Reuse window position...", that, when set, will force the launched instance to have the same position as the original one.

When not set, ExamDiff Pro will randomly position the launched window, although I can't reproduce your problem, as it the program does indeed try to use the same monitor.
psguru
PrestoSoft
johnmblack

Post by johnmblack »

This has happened to me constantly, on THREE DIFFERENT computer setups. Each time, it is with multiple monitors, and each time, a different monitor seems to be the one EDP is "stuck" to. There is no pattern. (Except maybe, the monitor that the app was run on the very *first* time?)

Changing the option you suggested has no effect.

You mentioned you are unable to reproduce.. have you tried it with a 3-monitor setup?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

No, we don't have a 3-monitor setup to test this on.
psguru
PrestoSoft
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I'm running 8.0.1.6 on a 3 monitor setup...2 - 24" and 1 - 17" and ExamDiff always opens on the last monitor where I had it open. I do not have the option checked in the settings.

Not sure if this helps, but been running multi-monitor for over 10 years and have never had ExamDiff pop up randomly.