plug-ins not working

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
rgr09

plug-ins not working

Post by rgr09 »

I'm using Examdiff Pro 7 (v 7.1.3, 64 bit) on 64 bit Windows 7 (sp1). When I install EDP and am asked if I want to install the plug-ins, I answer yes, and the plug-ins do indeed show up in the folder underneath EDP, but when I try to compare doc files, xls files, etc. all comparisons are binary only. In addition, when I then check the tools menu while EDP is running, the boxes for the plug-in directories are blank.

After some backtracking, it turns out that the plug-ins work when I am running as admin, but not as a regular user. It is not a workable solution to switch to admin whenever I want to use the plug-ins. I tried to install as a regular user with elevated privileges, hoping this would give me access to the plug-ins, but I got an installation error (CreateFile failed; code 5, access is denied). Is there any way to fix this, other than upgrading?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: plug-ins not working

Post by psguru »

After some backtracking, it turns out that the plug-ins work when I am running as admin, but not as a regular user. It is not a workable solution to switch to admin whenever I want to use the plug-ins.
This is not correct: you don't need to run as admin in order for plug-ins to work.
In addition, when I then check the tools menu while EDP is running, the boxes for the plug-in directories are blank.
What happens when you check the boxes and recompare?
psguru
PrestoSoft
rgr09

Re: plug-ins not working

Post by rgr09 »

Hm. It is now working correctly. Originally there was no checkbox for any plug-in, just a browser for you to select what directory had the plug-in. It seemed as if EDP didn't know there were any plug-ins installed. Don't know why it is now working correctly, but I'll take it and thanks for responding.