Find in editor

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Find in editor

Post by MSpagni »

I use the standard color combination.
Today I used the "Find" command in the EDP editor.
It works, but I was absolutely unable to see where the searched item he was pointing was!
I had to guess. :wink:
When I closed the find dialog then the searched item became highlighted (...in black. Lets say "evidenced" :D )
MSpagni
Expert Member

Re: Find in editor

Post by MSpagni »

I have to correct myself: the "selected" part is actually evidenced even with the dialog open, but it simply has the pen color switched from blue on (in my case) gray to black (or, perhaps, a darker shade of blue) on gray.
Not very visible in a crowded screen.

When the dialog is closed then the selected part becomes white on black.
Much, much more visible.
Why this difference?

N.B. In the "color" palette there is no option to change the colors for those cases... or did I overlook it?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

These colors are based on your Windows color scheme. For the active (in-focus) view the colors (same colors that used when you select text manually) will be COLOR_HIGHLIGHTTEXT and COLOR_HIGHLIGHT (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx). For the inactive view (when your Find dialog has focus) the background color (COLOR_HIGHLIGHT) is lightened in ExamDiff Pro.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Ah, I see.
But let me disagree with this choice.
Since EDP uses his own color combination for a lot of different text status, I don't understand why one should need to change the system colors just to have a couple of cases right in EDP but then probably messed up in the system.
I suggest to add the color customisation also for "selected text" and "selected text in inactive view".

N.B. Just for information: my color combination is "Windows classic" in windows 7
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I see your point but this is how most editors work, and in fact this is the whole point of Windows color scheme. So it is unlikely this behavior will be changed.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

IMHO the whole point of Windows color scheme is to use only the colors of the scheme.
In this case a scheme is coherent and automatically used in all the programs.
But if extra colors are used, and in special mode if many extra colors are used (I mean colors explicitly specified), then the whole point of Windows color scheme is broken.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The only extra color used in this scenario is the inactive selection color (which is, as I stated earlier, a lightened version of the regular selection color). So yes, it could be customizable, it's just not done. Given our list of priorities, I don't foresee this as a user-controlled option any time soon.
psguru
PrestoSoft