Double Click - Opens Windows Explorer rather than drill down

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
mchalep

Double Click - Opens Windows Explorer rather than drill down

Post by mchalep »

Hi,

I am a new user here. Why is it that when I 'Double Click' on a Subdirectory in ExamDiff Pro, it opens Windows Explorer, rather than 'drill's down
lower into the directory structure within ExamDiff Pro. Explorer directory menu integration is okay, but not when I am trying to open a directory comparison from within ExamDiff Pro.

Is there an option setting, that changes this functionality, so Windows explorer is not opened everytime I double click a subdirectory?.

Cheers

Patrick
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Double Click - Opens Windows Explorer rather than drill

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro will open Explorer on double-click only if there is no matching file/folder on the opposite side. If there is, a comparison will start.
psguru
PrestoSoft
mchalep

Post by mchalep »

That's no good for me, would be nice if you had a choice with this functionality. Sounds like you need to manually create a similar folder on the other side; if you want to copy over parts of a directory structure over to the destination folder.

That's a deal breaker for me.

Patrick
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

What would ExamDiff Pro compare the double-clicked folder to if there' no match on the other side?
Sounds like you need to manually create a similar folder on the other side; if you want to copy over parts of a directory structure over to the destination folder.
No. You can select a folder and click on the arrow button on the toolbar (or choose the Copy To ... command from the menu).
psguru
PrestoSoft
mchalep

Post by mchalep »

Well, that's if you wish to copy the 'entire' folder over to the other directory, rather than parts of a specific directory,
which other products can do. Beyond Compare is an example of a product, which has this functionality. I base my observations,
from experience with 'other' file and directory comparison tools, and there appears to be functionality, which is missing in
UltraCompare. I like UltraCompare, but I wish it could do more.

Also, there is no 'move to' option, i.e. directory or file move from source location to the 'other' destination, which is also disappointing.
I end up copying over to the destination folder, and then having to manually delete the file or directory, from the source folder. It is a
bit of a sacrifice using this product, when I know other products have this functionality, even if those 'other' products have there 'own'
inadequacies and missing functionality, which Ultra Compare does better.

P.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Each product, obviously, has its pros and cons, and I'm not going to try convincing you to choose ExamDiff Pro.

FYI, you could perform a recursive comparison (which would show all files in all sub-folders) and then select files you want to copy to the opposite side and perform the Copy operation. And if you want to move instead, copy first and then delete all selected files on the source side (it's one click/key-press operation).
psguru
PrestoSoft